Installing printers

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Nelix, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi All

Here at work we have just had some new multifunction printers installed and I want to roll out the install to users however, I cant email a script cause exchange blocks it. Is there any way I can do this maybe via an html webpage that I can email around with links for people to click on to install the printers and set one as the default, I also want to the option to remove the current printers if the users decides that they no longer need them.

I cant do this via an AD login script as AD is looked after by 3rd line and I dont want to involve them if I can help it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Derek

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a vbs script that will do it, however that would mean I would have to physically visit every machine in the office to run it.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can you add the script to a zip file and then email it? :blink

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dump the file in a share and then email the users with a hyperkink to the vbs file? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

You might be able to zip the file but before you do rename the extension to fool exchange.

We do it a lot to get .exe and .vbs files to each other inside zip files, rename the extension to .whatever or .muppet or anything other than .exe or .vbs

That works for cloaking scripts and executables in zip files through exchange 2K3 where I am.

Talking the users through renaming file extensions within zip files might turn out to be a false economy though.. how many users you have to do this for?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have, at the moment about 50 users to do this for. What I did in the end was this, as the users are from differnet departments there is no common drive that they all have access to, I simple copyed the .vbs script into each departments drive them emailed each individual group with a link to the script.

Quiet straight forward really, dont know why I was thinking it would be so awkward.

Thanks to all who commented

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. devil_121

devil_121 New Member

OK friend, I am not an expert of these things but you can do one thing to exchange the script. at first zip it. then go to rapidshare.com. there you can upload the zip file, after uploading you will get a link. then share that link with your users. And your user can download that file easily from rapidshare.com. I think it is the most easiest way to share the script. :blink