Installing on multiple xp computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by mallet, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Would anyone know how to install multiple computers?

As I had a practacal test a few months back and he said I had to install 5 computers and some other task within 2 hours.
    I made a mess of it all but they said its ok, and in few weeks they put me to do the project work which is ok.

My thoughts were to use unattend install and just put the floppy in the driver and let the disk do all the work on all the computers.

Theres also RIS but does it mean theres a chance that the internet connection will break and restart the install?

The other was sysprep but how do I use sysprep when I cant use disk imaging tool in a test?

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What network infrastructure do you have? A RIS server would work if it is located on the LAN and the PCs have a PXE NIC (you can use a floppy disk though)

Do you have to set all this up in the two hour time period? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Yep, even after that we have to setup a DC, a backup DC, DNS.
    I give out a review of ICS London once I am done with there project work.

The network infrastructure we had at the labs was just 10 computers hooked by LAN. The computers were xp pro and xp server 2003.

4. Sparky

Ahh, installing a RIS server would take up some of the time then.

Might be best to go for an answer file for the client PC installs so you can let them install while you concentrate on the servers.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks sparky.

there is one other question that I forgot to mention, and it was on one of the projects I was doing.
    On one of the members you are going to upgrade 120 computers from windows 2000 pro to xp pro deploy over a domain and you have 3 member servers in the domain.
    Is it possible to apply a Group Policy Object to the member server to make the upgrade happen?

So the network setup is:
    1 Domain.
    3 members servers in the same above domain.

6. Sparky

Yup, you can push out the whole upgrade from one member server to all the PCs.

You need to copy the contents of the Windows XP CD to a network share, configure group policy and also have an answer file.

Info can be found here
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c02621675.mspx#EQB

I havent done an OS upgrade through group policy but I have pushed out XP Service pack 2 and Adobe Reader (seems to be a new version every day!) and it saves loads of time with group policy.

7. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Sparky :thumbleft

I spent most of the morning reinstalling one of the com, very time comsuming indeed. as the com was evaluation copy of windows.

Cheers again.