Installing Mike Meyers Learnkey Demo

Discussion in 'A+' started by Weemez, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey Folks,

I have just purchased the Mike Meyers all in one A+ Certification book.

On trying to install the Learnkey demo fron the CD-ROM supplied i am having a little problem.

I have Windows Media Player 10, when trying to install i get a prompt saying that i need Media Player 9. It then tries to install 9 but then i get a prompt saying "You already have the latest version of Windows Media Player, this installation will now cancel". I keep going round in circles trying to get Media Player 9 installed.

I have e-mailed Learkey tech support but thought i would post it here aswell incase any other numpties like myself don't know how to resolve this as i'm sure there won't be much to it! :oops:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Kev,

I would wait to see what Learnkey's answer is because with things like Media player and MSN it won't let you go to an earlier verison :( .
    Unless you have got the media player 9 set-up files(s) in which case you could un-install 10 and then re-install 9 :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Ta Boyce,

I will wait for the reply, i don't have Media Player on my Add/Remove list!

Was going to try and delete it from program files then try and install 9 but it wont let me do that because it says, "cannot delete files as another program may be using it".

I dont have any other programs running that is using it, but the likes of music files are still showing up as WinAmp files as i used to use that but uninstalled that ages ago, maybe that has something to do with why it won't delete.

I shall wait and see before i do something i cant retrieve.

Thanks for the reply mate! :biggrin

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No probs Kev. I am sure Learnkey have a solution for you to use with version 10.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

What CD-ROM are you trying to instal, you say demo?

You should have no problems running the LearnKey stuff on 10 as opposed to 9 - I'm running 10 and I have no problems.

Let me know what the CD is and I might be able to help - you may not get any response from LearnKey until about 3pm.

we are the UK partners for them.

Sarah

6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hiya Sarah

I have the All in one 5th edition that accompanies the book. The CD starts on autorun and i am presented with the menu. On selecting the bottom option "Install Learnkey demo". I am then faced with the msgs i have mentioned above.

I am then put through to learnkey detection report that lists the components i need and have e.g Flash Player, MS Java Virtual Machine and so on. They are ticked as ok.

Media player 9 is crossed so i click to install and i go round the same circle again.

I hope that is what you need to know.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

About a million years ago when I was studying for the A+ exam, I tried using the CD in the book and couldn't get it to read. I requested and received a replacement. I couldn't get it to read either (I tried it in multiple machines at home and school so was assured that it wasn't my CD-ROM device). I asked for and received a third CD. They personally tested it to make sure it worked and by golly, it did. Sometimes a bad batch of CDs will be produced. Could be as simple as that.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Demo title is "Learnkey self-paced video training demo featuring Mike Meyers" :biggrin

9. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

OK i've had a reply from tech support and their instructions are as follows:

1. When you are prompted to update to WMP 10, click on No.

2. When you are prompted to run the detection again, click on No.

3. Close the detection report

4. Go to http://www.osborne.onlineexpert.com

5. Click Register now link

6. Be sure to select the correct course then fill out the registration info

7. You will be emailed a password to the site.

Problem is there is not a mention of A+ All in One on the list, just Passport! I have e-mailed back and will post results for anyone experiencing the same problem in the future.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's possible they use the same demo disk for both books since All-In-One and Passport are both Meyers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Was thinking that Trip,

I'll wait and see what tech support say.

thanks!

12. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Notice to the above,

"Problem is there is not a mention of A+ All in One on the list, just Passport! I have e-mailed back and will post results for anyone experiencing the same problem in the future."

Im talking complete s!$te, i never scrolled up to find the subject i wanted! I'm going to hide for a while now. :oops:

13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

C'mon you guys! I can't believe that we got A+ techies in here who cant even do this one! Lol! Its easy.....i have the same cd and i got the movies without even installig anything. Here's what to do:

1] Exit the autoplay when you insert the cd.
    2] Open My Computer and right-click on the cd rom icon and click "Explore"
    3] A new window will pop up. Just navigate to this directory: (cd rom):\Movies\oz002A\CD In there you'll find the Windows movie files as well as a folder with flash files.

If this doesnt work, then sue me......cuz its supposed to. Anywayz glad to help. Good Luck!!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270