Installing Linux SUSE in VMWare Beta 5

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Dec 28, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If this goes on much longer, I'll end up writing my third book on it. I've already discovered you have to install SUSE in text mode and now it won't accept the necessary keyboard commands to let me install the thing.

Working with the VMWare Beta 5 forum on this one but thought I'd come over here and blow off some steam. No kidding...I think there is really a book on how to install and work with Linux Guests in VMWare. Heck...if it were out there, I'd buy it. :P

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I followed the directions in the Knowledge base but I keep getting an error saying that there is no such file or directory. I've gone over my steps a dozen times and can't get it to go.

I tried opening a window in text mode by hitting ctrl + alt + spacebar, releasing the spacebar and hitting F2 with no success. I also tried logging out and logging back into Failsafe mode with the same results. Got a friend on IM to help me but we both have the same set of instructions.

I did click on the VM menu and clicked on Install VMWare Tools and I was logged on as root.

Any ideas?

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I may have a lead on this. It's possible that the name for the vmware linux tools installer is different for the beta 5 version than previous versions. I have a query in at the vmware beta 5 boards now. Assuming anyone is interested in this, I'll post the continuing saga until I get it sorted.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The problem I was having was that the name of the vmware tools tar file was different. The exact name is VMwareTools-e.x.p-11608.tar.gz. I tried using the wildcards that in theory, should have gunzipped any tar file in the cdrom drive but no go. It wanted the exact name or nothing. After that, the installation was a breeze.