1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation XP over the network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by HTF, Feb 28, 2009.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Please can somebody help me.

I am trying to install windows XP over a network using Winnt.exe or Winnt32.exe. I have the following instructions and I have come unstuck on the first action:

"1. Boot the network client.
    On the target computer, boot from a floppy disk that includes a network client or
    start another operating system that can be used to connect to the distribution server".

I connected from another OS but my question is how do you make a floppy disk that includes a network client and install Win XP on a blank system just with BIOS?

Many thanks

Certifications: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This may point you in the right direction.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  4. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thanks for that but I have one more question is there any other way if I haven't got floopy drive. Can I do network boot CD or USB flash memory.

5. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Yes you can use a CD instead of a floppy. You should've mentioned that little detail from the start 8)
    Do a google search you should be fine.
    Or
    Try this...
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/

Good luck.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  6. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi can you help me please because I stuck.

First thing:
    Unattended installation

1. In windows setup manager (setupmgr) on answer file to unattended installation there is no option to add user accounts, however, is that option in the n-lite, a question:
    - To what nlite file stores the data on the installation CD if I wanted to edit it.
    - Can I add users by modifying the windows answer file (Winnt.sif) or different, appropriate.

Second think:
    Disk cloning
    I made a disk image by Acronic True Image software (with an extension of the TIB).

1. And now I want to create a bootable disk of the CD/DVD plus the image of this disk, so that I won't have to use separate CD boot with Acronis True Image + releases from the disk image
    - What software/way is best to do it?

I hope someone help me so thanks in advance.