Installation problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by JonnyMX, Nov 20, 2005.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm having a blonde moment.

My development machine at work is on the network but I don't log on the the domain so I'm not directly affected by group policy etc. There are no restrictive security settings on it. I set it up myself and it's pretty much XP Pro out of the box.

Just recently I've found that I can't install anything on it, unless I do it in safe mode. Never used to be like that, and nobody else uses it. The installers will run and stick right at the end untill they stop responding. So I have to install everything in safe mode.

I've also downloaded some windows updates which are waiting to install, but same problem. Every time I shut down they try and install and I end up having to shut down manually.

How do I install updates that have been downloaded in safe mode? The install updates icon doesn't appear in the task bar in safe mode.

I'm sure this is really obvious, but I've got a bad head and can't concentrate...

:scratch :sickR

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Could it be a local computer policy that's changed?

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Boot up in 'safe mode with networking'

If the taskbar icon still dont show then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to trigger the session off again.

Neall

WIP: A+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How long has this problem bee going on for?

If you can pin point a time then you may be able to use System Restore.

8)

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds like another application is preventing you installing anything. Have you tried a selective start up (msconfig)?

If it works in safe mode the OS itself must be okay. Have you tried ending non essential running processes to try and narrow down the problem?

As with all oddities, you should run a full AV scan and malware scan too. Malware can cause all sorts of strange issues.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

All good points, thanks guys.

Hard to pin a time frame to it as we don't install stuff very often. I suspect it's over zealous AV. Symmantec AV is a bit of a swine as auto-protect keeps re-enabling itself when you try and install stuff.

Where's my hammer...

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tried that. Windows update fails when in safe mode.
    I googled the error message and it seems to be a common problem which has to do with a service which doesn't run in safe mode but is required by update.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As the mighty Tripwire45 says, Google is your friend 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)