Installation of VMachines

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by DiGRem, Dec 2, 2005.

1. DiGRem

DiGRem New Member

Hi all, I am looking at starting my 70-270 & 70-290 over the next few months and I was looking at using VMware until I get a ok machine from which I can run 2003 Server on my main machine (Dell 8300 2.4HT 1G RAM) and XP Pro on whatever (I only have a K6-2-450 ATM ;) ) but I have no idea on the best way on setting up the network.

Looking at some of the v labs from this website, the best way would be to use XP Pro on my host machine (The Dell) and Install VMWare with the following idea http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3568.html but I have no idea on how to set this up. Can anyone help.

I can install 2k3 Server and Pro, but how do I get the network setting working without effecting my host config (Which works via a Linksys WRT54GS using DHCP for my Internet Connection which is running 2 wireless machine and my main machine va cable) as I need to keep the Host machine running (I have several HD's and 2 Printers running from it)

I know it can be done via the teams, but what network config do I use in VMware so only the 2 VMachines can see each other ??? So I can have 2k3 running DC and XP Pro loging on to the DC ?

I hope you all can understand this as I can't :)

Many thanks for all of you time, this is a great forum.

DiGRem

Certifications: A+, N+, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it were Virtual PC I'd simply say use the local only option, thus allowing your VM's to see each other but no further.

As it's VM Ware I'm affraid that I don't know what settings to use.

:dry

3. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

when you set up the config for the VM machine use bridged networking, as the adapter initially will be set to DHCP it should pick up an IP from your DHCP server and the VMMachine should be visible on your network.

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

One problem I had when setting up a similar lab was DHCP. I couldn't seem to get it working when using team mode and it's useful to have enabled for learning about it etc... I didn't figure it out in the end, so I set the other PC's in the house to static IP's, disabled DHCP on my router, then setup a proper PC as a Win2k3 server with DHCP on that. A non sim server seemed to make things less complicated, then member servers / clients can be simmed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster