Infuriating relatives - and the internet

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Metalstar, Jun 10, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

So these guys would rather have no connection from home than have to use a dedicated work pc? And these are doctors who are supposed to be the smart ones?:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They've got a connection from home... we limited them to a Terminal Server connection, which they're fine with. :)

And don't fool yourself into thinking that doctors are "the smart ones", nor are they the ones with common sense. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think some people are technologically inept though or some people are just scared of it.

My mother who is 66 can just about press play on the VCR I have tried everything from drawing pics to putting stickers on the buttons on the remote so she knows what to do.

The other day I had set her VCR to record some programme she likes and with us having sky on the recording there was a sign on the screen saying press the red button to vote. She called me to say that when she was pressing the red button and nothing happened I had to explain to her very slowly that the red button voting on sky was only at that time the show was on and wouldnt work because she was watching a tape.

I think its an age thing with her but with younger people I think they are inept.

I wouldnt even consider trying to show her how a pc works

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. shambles

shambles Guest

There is definately some truth in the theory that some people just don't 'get' technology.

But sometimes the technology itself doesn't help...

My girlfriend never mastered the art of setting our video recorder, but we recently bought a very sophisticated PVR - records TV onto a 300GB HDD, and does a whole host of other really clever bits and bobs to ensure you never miss your favourite shows (a bit like Tivo, really). Because the interface between human and machine has been so well thought out on this device, she got the hang of it within minutes.

Obviously, a full PC is a completely different thing, but I guess that at some point in the future someone will come up with something much better than desktop, icons, mouse and keyboard, and maybe maybe find a way of making the user experience generally just so much more friendly that using a PC won't be beyond anyone's grasp...

5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I tend to agree with the earlier comment; that it is FEAR that hinders some people. They see a computer as some massively powerful thing that could have a detrimental effect on their lives if they make a mistake while using it. I eased my mothers concerns by telling her that if it keeps asking "are you sure you want to delete....." then answer NO. She now never stops asking me questions about her PC, and while I don't mind (sometimes she asks something that I don't really understand myself, so we both learn something), sometimes she is relentless.:twisted:

She does, however, now understand some PC things better than I, which tends to bring me straight back down to earth from my Techie superiority cloud. :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)