Information on MCSE qualification/exams

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by omega1, Jul 30, 2009.

1. omega1

omega1 New Member

Hello,

I wish to obtain MCSE qualification (for both professional and personal reasons) and I am looking for someone who can help with some information on this.

- Which exams am I going to have to do?
    - Can I study in my own time and just go and take the exams individually?
    - I do not have time to go to a boot camp, can I do this 'on my own' (IE studying in my own time with my own materials and just going for the exam?
    - What materials (books, etc...) do you suggest I use?
    - What is the cost of the exams?
    - How successful would I be by trying to do it this way?

My main reason for doing it this way is that I have very little time that I can put aside for this and intend to do it over a relatively large period of time as I cannot commit to certain hours, days, etc...

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted (and succeeded!) doing it this way.

I am based in Hampshire and would also be interested in knowing where I could take the exams and how often they are available.

Thank you all in advance for any possible help and advice you can give.

2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

do a search on ths forum for mcse
    see what other people have been advised!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. omega1

omega1 New Member

OK...

Am I right in thinking that these are the exams I need to do?

70-270 Installing, configuring and administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    70-290 Managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 environment
    70-291 Implementing, managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    70-299 Implementing and administering security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network
    70-293 Planning and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    70-294 Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    70-298 Designing security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network

With quite a few years experience in IT, would I be naive to think that by studying each one (self study) I could book an exam and then move onto the next exam?

Thanks.

4. omega1

omega1 New Member

Ok, I think i've got this right... Does this look correct for the MCSE?

Anyone suggest the easiest one of these 7 exams for me to start with, just to see how it all works and how I get on?

Thanks in advance...

Four exams on networking systems
    Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Exam 70-290

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    Exam 70-291

Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    Exam 70-293

Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    Exam 70-294

One exam on client operating systems
    Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional
    Exam 70-270

One exam on design
    Designing Security for a Windows Server 2003 Network
    Exam 70-298

One elective exam
    Designing, Deploying, and Managing a Network Solution for a Small- and Medium-Sized Business
    Exam 70-282

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. omega1

omega1 New Member

Hi,

Yes, I have got that amount of info. thanks.

I was just looking for some confirmation really from someone that has done it before.

Also, any advice on the exam question? As in, which one do you beleive is the easiest so I can start wit hthat one and get a taste for the others?

Thanks.

7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

70-270 was my first exam, which i found was a good insight

It may be better for you to do the MCDST cert aswell, it then counts as an elective for your MCSA and will give you a good insight to the way MS ask questions.

My back is in massive pain at the moment- i have to go docs so i cant write any more but i'm sure you can find the confirmation on the MS site like Jim said.
    But yeah those exams should give you MCSE!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. omega1

omega1 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

Any rough guideline on the time it would take for each individual exam (specifically, 70-270 which I will probably do first as you suggested)?

Thanks

9. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Have you done any IT work before?

10. omega1

omega1 New Member

On and off, I have been involved in IT for 15 years, I shouldn't have a problem with a lot of it (i'm not saying i'm an expert, or will find it easy) i'm just looking at getting the certification to improve my CV (and also for personal acheivement).

Thanks.

11. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi, I did the following exams in the order below to reach MCSA, it took me just over 2 years studying part time.

Will start working on MCSE at some point.

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network +
    MS 70-271
    MS 70-272
    MS 70-270
    MS 70-290
    MS 70-291

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

About 2-3 years part time for MCSE is a realistic timescale for most people with some experience I would think.

Highbury have some courses :-

http://www.highbury.ac.uk/UploadDocs/contents/Documents/pdf/part-timeprospectus/ComputingIT.pdf

I would reccomend self study if you know what you are doing as it will be easier and faster. College is good for the interactive / social aspect though.

Lots of people on here have been successful using self study, in truth there is probably more merit in self study as it proves you have what it takes to be a good tech.

Amazon have all the books you need, most people tend to use training kits by MS press or Sybex. Also consider CBT's if you have some extra cash.

Look at virtualization products like VirtualPC or Vmware to make setting up lab exercises easier.

I would aim for the MCSA first and then take a breather.

There are many MCSE guides around the forum, do a search.

13. omega1

omega1 New Member

I've read before about the lab exercises with VirtualPC and VMware, what are they needed for? Is that just to experiment?

Thanks again for all the replies and info, much appreciated.

14. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah thats it. You can break your virtual machines and restore them to a previous state

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The simple versions allow you to create virtual machines, the more complex versions allow you to create whole virtual networks.

A virtual machine can be useful because you can do anything you want in an exercise and quickly get back to a save point/snapshot or base image.

This allows you to create a few virtual machine images and re-use them through the exercises without having to constantly reinstall the OS or try to undo changes from previous exercises etc.

Also it means you will never end up breaking your real main windows OS install or installing loads of junk that you just don't want for home use.

16. omega1

omega1 New Member

Thanks

17. omega1

omega1 New Member

ok, im going for the 70-270! I have the book on order and have found info on the internet, have installed Windows XP on a spare machine, and i'm ready to go!

Any ideas on how long it may take before i'm ready for the first exam? I plan to do an hour every night, maybe more, and have worked with XP for a few years now... Just an approx would be useful as to pace how I am going... I guesss i'll then have an idea for the rest of them.

Thanks

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as it takes. Everyone is different. Some people need no study; others take years. You'll likely be somewhere in the middle! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!