Information not covered by study materials

Discussion in 'A+' started by tallpaul, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

I am currently studying A+ using Mike myers "all in one" & "A+ 2006 In Depth" by Jean Andrews.
    I am noticing some discrepencies between some things that one book covers & the other doesn't.
    For instance, the XP Dependency Walker tool is covered in Jean Andrews's book but not the Mike Meyers.

Has anyone who took the A+ been caught off-guard by any questions on topics they hadn't studied for?
    (assuming you studied properly,i mean -not just winged it!)

Any specifics?

allways best to be prepared in my opinion-especially with the exams looming in a couple of weeks.

Ta very much.

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Simple answer: No. The Meyers AIO 6th Edition, James Pyles PC Technician Street Smarts, and the Meyers A+ Passport 3rd edition were good enough for me. I also went to a TP, but let's not go there (it didn't help, it was the books that did it).

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I found that the AIO had *more* in it than required by the exams I took. But that is just one person. Others may find the odd question not really covered.

And, IMHO, that Dependency Walker tool is somewhat beyond the scope. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's not terribly unusual for an author to include a piece of information that they think is important, even if it most likely won't be on the exam. Jean Andrews is probably trying to be helpful by suggesting a tool she thinks PC techs will find useful *in real life*. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

I think you are probably right about that,Trip.Her book does seem to be slightly more detailed than the All-In-One.
    allthough both are very good her style is drier than Mr meyers.
    I can see why this would put some people off.
    But my god,does she seem uncomfortable in the videos!

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

So do I...well, at least in the one video project I let myself get talked into. :wink:

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm in one video project... props to any programmers who can find me. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is there not e-book version of your vista book with video tutorial?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just look for the blinding glare off of his pale skin. :wink:

10. BosonMichael

There is an e-book included with the bound version... and there are video tutorials, but they're basically silent screen capture videos, not "head shot" videos. In the programming video I'm in, you can see my (pale) face and hear my voice throughout. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I tried programming for vampires but google doesn't show anything usefull.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

You should have tried "vampire programmers" - try it in Google Images, nice pics! :biggrin

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  13. Maruchino

Maruchino Bit Poster

I'm in a 'video project' too.. but the less said about that the better *ahem*.

14. BosonMichael

<insert bwow-chicka-wow-wow music>

15. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Thanks to the 2 people who posted in relation to my original question

16. BosonMichael

Other than cheating by using braindumps (which I don't recommend), no book, practice exam, or training video covers *everything* you might possibly see on the live exam. The creators of those training products are not given a "sneak peek" of the exam, nor are they warned when exam content changes. Thus, there's *always* going to be stuff on the exam that isn't covered by the training products you study.

That said, a good training product will help you to answer MOST of the questions correctly, either by giving you the information directly, or by giving you enough information to make a well-informed, logical decision as to the right answer. Meyers AIO 6th is definitely one of those good training products. I've not seen Andrews book, so I can't give any advice regarding its usefulness.