Info needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by Atari, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Hiya,

I already work in I.T (web development) but I've been working with PC hardware for 10+ years (system builds/repairs/upgrades/diagnostics) and Windows since 3.11.

I'd like to have something on my C.V that just shows I'm capable in this area, I'm not really looking to change career.

A few questions:

- How hard is the course/exam? Is this more suited to those just entering the industry without prior knowledge?
    - Is the CompTIA just one course + exam?
    - Are there multiple version of this course/exam (old & new)?
    - Can I do all the study myself and then book the exam myself?
    - Are there any (free) sites where I can test my existing knowledge?

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Most info is answered on the Comptia site Good luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

- How hard is the course/exam? Is this more suited to those just entering the industry without prior knowledge?

The A+ is designed for entry level techs, anyone with a decent level of experience shouldn't find it to challenging.

- Is the CompTIA just one course + exam?

No 'course' is necessary to sit the A+ and its 2 exams.

- Are there multiple version of this course/exam (old & new)?

There are currently 2 versions, 2006 and 2009. The 2009 objectives are (obviously) very new and so there isn't a lot of training material available.

- Can I do all the study myself and then book the exam myself?

Definitely, self study is the best way to go with the A+ (IMO) and the exams can be booked directly with either Prometric or Pearson Vue

- Are there any (free) sites where I can test my existing knowledge?

http://www.proprofs.com/ have got some practice tests you can have a crack at and some of the practice test vendors offer free trials of their software that will at least give you an idea of where you stand.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

A couple more questions...

- I see that there are 2 exams and "A+" is the first. Any popular/effective books on Amazon?
    - Is there anything on the final certificate that states which exam you took (2006 or 2009)?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the A+ isn't the first You have to do one called Essentials then you pick one other, getting both gives you the A+.

If you are going for the 2006 objectives then get compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

If you go for the newer objectives then you will have to wait for Mike Meyers 7th edition to come out.

The certificate will state that you are A+ certified that is all employers are bothered about and in anycase most employers will look at your compTIA candidate page on the site not your certficate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The cert is meant to represent the level of knowledge that an tech would have after 6 (or is it 9) months work as a tech. I reckon it'll be more about filling in the gaps with your experience so you should find it reasonably straightforward. It is a very broad course though so there will be gaps.
    I'd advise the same books as GBL. The All-in-one covers all four certs so whichever path you choose it will cover the material.
    Normally I would advise people to do the 602 after the 601 but, since you're not looking to change jobs, you may prefer the 604 instead. It's more hardware oriented.
    If you have a good look through this subforum you'll find a lot of useful advice and links.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job