1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Industry magazines

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

I'm having difficulty finding a forum for this one. So I'm giving it maximum exposure. The worktime skive forum :)

My IT tech gave me a magazine today and it prompted me thinking; my job has nothing to do with IT as a whole, and I find it difficult to keep up to date with things without forking out £6.50 every time for a PC magazine that contains 70% adds. I've been giving Networking Magazine - free to industry subscribers. Are there any magazines that you guys regularly read, and could recommend to any drifters from the hive of the IT industry?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I used to subscribe to PC PRO each month, but found that I simply couldn't find the time to sit down and read it.

These days all I subscribe to is The Register and get a daily email of the latest news and goings on in the world of IT.

I find that this way I can see whats new,and if something grabs my attention I can look into it further.

Best of all it's FREE to subscribe.

:)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Aye industry mags aint what they used to be, most the stuff in them I read months prior on /. or similar

read slashdot
    read the register if you must
    zdnet
    that kind of stuff

way more informative

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Computing and Computer Weekly are "free to the trade"

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

as is IT Week if i recall correctly (atleast i still seem to get a copy every monday, lol)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Subscribe to PCPro myself, have done for a few years, and have to thank it for much of my IT knowledge that isn't self-taught.
    Don't always find time to read it anymore like simon.

I do check the register quite a lot, although I tend to find myself in the Odds & Sods section more and more often.

Newsnow.co.uk's IT section can be good for a quick skim.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  7. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

Thanks everyone :)

More than enough to burn out my eye sockets :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

PC Pro is my favourite "pay for" mag too, I also get computing, computer weekly and server management. There used to be another one called IT week, dunno if it's still going.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I only buy PC Advisor...in the past I bought this along with PCW (Personal Computer World) which was the first mag I bought that got me into PCs...about 8 years ago. now I just read PC Advisor...its really good. has all the stuff I want to read about and even gives top ten charts about each component or peripheral...and talks about some of the latest gadgets...always buy it every month without fail...dont know where I would be without it...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

CU Amiga - now that was a great mag (though don't think you can get it anymore :) )

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

It is and not worth the bother! IMHO