1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Increasing disk partition size in ESX 4 in Vsphere

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by Zainek, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I'm going to increase the C: size on my esx4 host in Vsphere, vm v7, hdd scsi, disk prov :Thin
    Problem is im running out of space. I can allocate the additonal eg 20gb in esx to whole disk
    but wanted to know the neatest method of increasing my C: capacity with the extra 20gb.

What utils do i use, or do i just use a 3rd party app like paragon disk manager ?.

The vm is running Winows 2003

Thanks,

Zainek

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

OK - first up, it's the guest HDD you're increasing (the host is the actual ESX server). Unless, of course, you're running ESX inside ESX (which I was doing the other day) - but I'm guessing you;re not doing that :biggrin

You need to do two things - firstly use the vmkfs tools to increase the vmdk file representing your C:\ HDD on the guest, then expand the C:\ partition by booting the VM to a linux live CD and using a partition management tool to grow the system partition into the new, unused space.

There's a good VMWare communities post about this - don't have my bookmarks to hand right now so can't find it - but if you search the VM Community forums for 'increase system partition on windows guest' or similar, you'll find it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

can i do this instead ?, the guests HDD is 20gb, using 10gb at mo.
    clone guest, increase drive allocation from 20 to 25. power on and run diskpart and extend ?
    No im not running ESX in ESX thank god, this feel like the move inception as it is.

4. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

First increase the disk size from the editing machine settings.

To increase the size of the root partition I use extpart.exe from Dell if its a 32bit OS, instructions are included with the download. On 2008 machines I always use diskpart.exe

Cheers
    Paul

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

I've done this myself and it works well! I would recommend what Zeb explained.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I'd go with this method too - simple but effective.

Scott.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah - old habits die hard :biggrin

8. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Thanks for everyones input, i have gone with edit settings increase HDD allocation size and expanded the partition. Thanks for all the contributions. I am investigating the VM tools and playing with later on today.
    Bought you all a virtual pint.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're welcome - consider this a virtual burp...

<burp> :D