Increase or Decrease in people wanting to enter I.T

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

With the current state of the worldwide employment markets,

has there been an increase or decrease in people wanting to enter or start their careers in I.T?

The new members sub-forum has a constant flow of people sayin 'Hi' and all these other top 10 recession proof industry articles that include IT tech support and network admin suggest that the I.T market is as strong as ever.

On the other hand, the job boards suggest another factor. The lack of jobs out there currently in the market, well, especially in my neck of the woods.

What do you guys think?

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i imagine anyone who was thinking about IT and has recently been made redundant will have taken this opportunity to get into IT.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sites such as Reed, Totaljobs etc are regularly sending out emails to jobseekers suggesting they study to get into IT so I suppose with the additional marketing there's an increase.

Remember though that it will take time for these people to study and get certified and that, even then, they still won't have any IT experience.

As to lack of jobs, I'm not seeing a major reduction in numbers being sent to me - maybe you've got your search criteria set too narrow ? Depends what sort of role you're looking for, obviously.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

There are always quite a few people who want to get into IT, many for the wrong reasons (they think it's a quick way to make a lot of money). But with the unemployment situation as it is, there are more people competing for those entry-level jobs. The only people who should be truly worried about this are people who have not yet gotten their first IT job... once you've got experience, you've got what employers are looking for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!