Include cash in hand / voluntary & freelance work on CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Sep 14, 2012.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I've been unemployed for the past couple of months, in this time I have done a couple of shifts at one of my old work places (small computer repair shop), sometimes cash in hand, others voluntary (unpaid). Should I include this on my CV? If so, should I say that ive been paid or should I just say that ive been working there voluntary to keep my skills sharp?

Also, I have been fixing alot of computers for people, this has whats been keeping me afloat financially. Now im not a registered business or anything but can I include this on my CV? IF so, how would I list it?

Regards,

exonje

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Personally, I would mention the voluntary work that you have done, but I would not mention any of the cash in hand jobs that you have had.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

OK so I put down the voluntary work. I usually fix around 5 machines a week for people, is this not worth mentioning as freelance work? Would it look better if I made a quick website to accompany?

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

you could include it in a hobbies section or yes possibly as freelance... it won't do you any harm to include it, just all about how you word it and seperate away from your employment history.

in regards to making a quick website, i doubt a prospective employer would actually look at the website for every reference you make on your cv.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Don't bother with a website, it's usually only viewed by you anyway.

Put the repair work under hobbies as it gives the idea that you're keen.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

ok guys, thanks very much

7. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

If you got paid theres nothing wrong with working as a "sole trader". You dont have to say "CASH IN HAND!", there not going to go and check your income wiht the tax office.