In the horns of a dilemma ...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jakamoko, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Isn't it typical - I make some rather scathing comments about Agencies the other day, and today I get a phone call from one.

They're dead keen to see me this Friday with a view to starting one of 2 positions in the NHS on Monday. There are 2 PC rollout engineers, and one Level 2 Tech job, both on 3-4 month contract. The first one is crap money, the Tech job is slightly more acceptable. Distance isn't a big problem either.

The problem is, do I go for it (either) and give up my new job after only 2-3 weeks (first month, so no notice required) which is fairly settled, and enjoyable ? It's secure, and although the money is poor, I can afford to keep it till the "something better" comes along - but I'm just not convinced this is it.

Then again, the chance of getting into the NHS is almost umissable, and half of me thinks it's worth the risk of giving up full-time work.

Oh come on Guys, if ever I needed you all, it's now ...... [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

That sure is a dilema dude,
    I know from the medical side (best mates a Dr) of the NHS you can get in through agencies and then inquire about signing up with them direct but they normally offer less than the agency! Also they tend to favour the temporary contract rather than full time positions. No idea if this applies to IT. Good chance any permanent position they may offer would also be in different location. I would try to find out ALL the answers before I mentioned anything to current employer. You could try contacting the NHS direct about this but they are probably dealing with agencies only. My mate done similar for Scottish Water on a 6 month contract, just after completing his MCSE, they really liked him and he really liked them but when the 6 months were up, it was all over.
    hope this of some use.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure anyone can really help you here, Gav. Your decision is more than just a career decision, it's a family decision. Regardless of the reasons we all work (well...we have to eat), one of the primary reasons is to support our families...not just day to day or week to week...but with an eye on the long haul.

It's not just the money, either but the benefits. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but part of what makes my job so attractive is the benefits package, especially medical. I have to make sure that my family is taken care of if they get hurt or sick.

When I was struggling through school and working my slave job with the Postal Service, I had nothing except my p*ss poor slave income to help out with. If someone got sick, we paid out of pocket. My current job not only allows me to put both my technical and writing skills to work but provides for the family in a way that I hadn't been able to in almost 5 years.

I assume you've talked to the missus about it because her input is important. How your decision affects your wife and child is a really big part of what you have to consider.

Now, let's talk about you. This decision isn't only one that affects the near future but to some degree, your career. Where are you headed in the next year? Where are you planning to be in two years? How will the job you have now get you where you are wanting to go?

Also, what will make you happy? Yes, on top of everything else, a job isn't worth it regardless of the money if you hate going to work everyday. As you probably know by now, it's not just the job but who you have to work with. Is your supervisor supportive or a tremendous @zzh*le? Are your mates on the job helpful and friendly or competitive?

I can't give you any answers but hopefully considering the right questions will help you arrive at a solution that is best for you and the people who are most important to you.

The only thing else I have to offer you is my best wishes and as always, my support and friendship. Good luck, Gav.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well, if you talk to a mate of mine the opportunity to work in the NHS is very missable indeedy. But then I think that probably depends on the trust you work for. I would hold out for a permanent position to come up, especially if you enjoy the new job. On the other hand you could say I'm way too cautious and just being a big girls blouse. :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for all of the above so far Guys, I appreciate you taking the time.

Grrrrr, I can't decide - the experience (of either) would look great on the CV, as would yet another IT job in just 14 months, but I really tend to think that there would be little prospect of permanency at the end of the period, as it appears that this is how the NHS operate (ha ha !!!) nowadays, ie maintain a skeleton IT staff and hire for programs as required.

Trip, you're right (as always) - security for the family is number 1, but I don't think I've ever questioned that. However we have always been prepared to undergo the short term pain for the greater gain (I see my current Helpdesk job as largely that)

Well, I think I may at least hear them out on Friday, get a feeling for what is on offer, and see what the conditions are. And after all, I haven't even been firmly offered anything yet !!!

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Since agencies seem to be the topic of the moment Guys, one more question...

Does anyone have any experience of what view they take if you turn down an offer they make you, if you have a valid reason for doing so (eg conditions don't match your criteria, or the risk is not worth taking) ?

Phoenix posted elsewhere that if you blow an interview they set you up with, then move on, as they can take a dim view of this.

Just wondered what the perceived wisdom would be in the above situation.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

turninmg them down and blowing an interview are two different things mate, turning them down doesnt waste a significant ammount of thier time, and they are generally thankful for that

however id say this, if your comfortable in a PERMENANT position, I wouldnt turn it down for a short term (3 -4 months is very Short term) contract unless the pay and career prospects were exceptional

as you know i was recently face with a similar issue, but the new roll was permenant, and offered much better career prospects, so I took it
    i have lost nothing by that chance, same pay, same 3 month probation, etc

i wouldnt give up a perm ticket for a contract position that was 'similar' especially not in todays climate

just my advice

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

As a matter of fact I do...

I always have my CV with several agencies. Several months ago I was "put forward" for a job who had a specific requirement and got nowhere. Six months later their client was "desperate" to fill the post so I was again "put forward" and was able to really do my homework on them. The money was much better, but the would not satisfy several criteria that I stipulated a) a realistic number of days holiday b) flexi working c) a number of training days written into the contract (hey guys we are in a fast moving technical business and you don't want to give me the skills to make your business more profitable?). I turned them down and strangly have not heard from the agency again!

While this is an isolated incident I am more cynical about them than most. Finally, nobody who works for them has any idea about Geography and travel to work time.

9. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Maybee you should give it a go if it does not work out at least you will be able to say to yourself well at I tried. If you dont you will aalways wonder did I miss out on my big chance. Remember you only live once so I say go for it. What is for you wont go by you unless you let it. GOOD LUCK. :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, the decision has been taken for me - I got an email yesterday saying that because I was currently in full-time employment, they thought it an unwise move to put me forward for such a short-term contract. This arrived just as I was about to tell them the same thing. All in all, I'm glad that this situation came about for several reasons.

Firstly it shows that I have at least reached the point where I am considered worthy of consideration for "serious" IT positions, and secondly, I'm now at least comfortable dealing with agencies - I don't consider them my master, they are there to help me more than I am to help them.

Above all, thanks for all your input and support on this guys. Much appreciated :thumbleft

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad things worked out for you, Gav. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, nice to be in that scenario Jak/Gav.

A bit late now, but as far as job posibilities go, I've always gone for the mantra of 'Keep saying yes until you're in a position to say no'.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Well that takes care of that then. Never mind at least they thought of you. That is good.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+