In terms of difficulty

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by del_port, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

There's going to be at least some overlap at some point...

For instance installing a new hard-drive into a computer is all well and good, but you may need to know the differences in file system types (NTFS, FAT etc) when formatting said hard drive for the client.

Surely it's better to have at least some knowledge, right?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hardware also interests me more than the software side, I could quite happily sit in a room and build and test PCs all day long but I would still rather have a knowledge and understanding of as much as possible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yep. The more you know (even if it's simple stuff) the better off you are. It's still computer related and it may help you in the future.

If you made the step up from repairing computers for people to fresh Windows installs for example, some of the info in the MCDST would be useful to you.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Yes i learnt ths stuff when xp was first released,i used to make films and learnt the difference between fat and ntfs when running into the 4gb max file size issue.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The thing is... companies aren't going to hire someone to JUST do hardware support. After all, when someone needs their PC fixed, it's not ALWAYS going to be a hardware problem... could be a hardware problem, but it could be a software configuration problem. And an employer is going to hire someone who can do BOTH... not just one.

So... with that in mind, you should really take a long, hard look about what you want to do in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael

Actually, no, it's not. You'd be surprised how many times I went out to repair a computer and the customer said, "By the way, since you're here, I'm having a problem with my teenage son getting on the Internet..."

So what happens when you find out it's not a hardware problem? Just say, "Sorry, can't help you."?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a go at you. I just wanted to find out what makes you tick, so to speak.

In answer to your question, I didn't find it very hard at all. The reason being is that I had a lot of experience doing just that sort of work. Each exam took me around 4-6 weeks to do.

As for the difficulty of the questions themselves, if you have an MS Press training kit book then the questions are very similar in format.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I find your comments very sarcastic,idiotic and totally missing the point,where have i said that a person shouldn't learn how to use windows?,i have been fixing windows problems for the last 7 or 8 years.
    And already had an all round decent knowledge of the windows operating system before i began on the mcdst.

The areas that i'm talking about not wishing to learn,or having difficulties with,are not typical knowledge,things like disk quotas i looked at last night as a subject and see as fairly irrelevant feature,this is not a standard feature in windows that everyone knows about,and it was those areas i have been talking about the whole time,something that has completely went over your head for some reason.

You have totally missed the emphasis of the speech as far as i can see and it just makes you look stupid.

I prefer hardware repair over software repair,but i obviously expect to understand software to some degree in order to do the hardware repair,i thought that would be easily understandable for people to read.

I'll explain it again if you are having difficulties

these are the areas i was having difficulties with

Chapter 3 Supporting local users and groups
    Chapter 5 Supporting windows xp file and folder access [includes disc quotas,ntfs permissions]
    Chapter 8 Installing and managing storage devices in win xp [basic disc i understand,dynamic disk i don't understand at all]
    Chapter 10 Network protocols and services.

This is not traditional knowledge,and things people face everyday,so there was nothing odd in me pointing out i didn't understand those subjects.

How you took that to mean i don't understand or use windows at all in troubleshooting i don't know.

9. greenbrucelee

I think what Michael is saying is what happens if you go to a customers house and they ask you to do something which you have skipped so you or they have to get someone else to do the job.

If I employed someone to do a job for me and they couldn't do another job which is related to the original job then I wouldn't employ them again as I would want someone who could do everything.

Here's an example: I employ a plumber to install a new sink in my bathroom, I also ask him to put it in working order by connecting the pipes to the water supply.

Am I going to be happy or pleased if he can't do one of those jobs?

No because it means I have to employ someone else who could have done the whole job in the first place.

10. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

No,he is just trying to be sarcastic and smart but failing miserably.He can read as well as anyone and shouldn't need someone apologising on his behalf.

Using your twisted logic a person would need to have an armfull of microsoft certificates to even consider computer repair as a job.

Disk quotas are not standard repair stuff which ever way you look at it.

Without even studying the mcdst i was already in a position to handle and fix most computer problems.

I find his tone uninformed and insulting,i've came across american attitudes like his in the past.

i intend leaving the forum rather than listen to any more stupid replies.This subject was for people who sat the a+.

If nothing else i have more confidence going into the exam after noticing the ones that have passed the microsoft exams don't really have a clue how to read and answer questions.

11. BosonMichael

Sorry, mate... your comments seem like you either don't want to be in IT or shouldn't be in IT if all you want to do is mess with hardware problems. Just because I'm telling you something you don't want to hear doesn't mean you ought to call me names like "stupid" or "idiotic" (need a refresh of the forum policies?).

My comments stand: companies don't hire people to work ONLY on hardware problems.

The areas that you're talking about ARE typical knowledge and quite relevant for people who administer PCs in just about EVERY company on the planet. Call that sarcasm, if you will... I like to refer to it as "truth".

You not understanding what I'm trying to tell you makes you look like you have no clue about real-world IT. But, by all means, continue to call me names. Doing so *really* bolsters your points well! :thumbleft

THAT was sarcasm, by the way.

But that IS traditional knowledge that people in IT face every day! Both for people who support business users AND for people who support home users. And if you don't think so... and if you continue to reject what experienced IT techs have to say... then you'll just have to struggle through refusing to believe it.

Did you come to this forum for REAL assistance, or did you come to this forum just to vent and whine about not wanting to learn OS issues?

I didn't. I took it to mean you didn't WANT to learn or use that knowledge. If you don't want to learn it, you'll won't likely get a good grasp of it, and you won't do particularly well at it when those situations arise... which isn't good for an IT career.

Dude, I'm posting to help YOU out, not to listen to myself type. It's for YOUR benefit, not mine. Take my advice or ignore it - doesn't matter to me. But don't sit here and call me "ignorant" when I'm trying to help YOUR ungrateful tail out. :dry

12. greenbrucelee

I'm not apologising on his behalf, he is actually trying to help as am I.

Certs have nothing to do with it. I'll try another aproach and please don't get upset: I take my car to a mechanic for a service, he changes all the spark plugs, oil filter, tightens the hand brake and tops up the water coolant which is standard service stuff. I ask him if he can change the timing belt for me but he say's he skipped that bit in car mechanics 101, this would make me not go back to him again as he should know the workings of a car inside out..

See above

I would say I can fix most issues I am presented with but it doesn't make me better than anyone else or even a required set of standards that a cert shows I have.

Maybe you find what he has said insulting, I find it direct. I would rather someone say I am doing something wrong and tell me there's a better way in a straight tone instead of them dilly dallying about the subject incase they hurt my feelings.

I have the A+, don't leave because you are disagreeing with someone, you'll disagree with people in most parts of the time you have on this planet, it's called life. BM and I have had disagreements before, **** happens it's something that has to be worked around or left alone.

I am glad you have more confidence, don't really know what to say to the rest of your staement as I don't understand what you mean.

Good luck with exam

13. BosonMichael

Exactly this. I'd prefer someone be direct with me to help me rather than lie to me just to make me feel better. So that's how I am with others - direct, to the point, and honest.

I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings. But, remember, emotion and tone are *always* difficult to pick up in a text-based forum. I can certainly make efforts to not be insulting by refraining from calling people names... but I can't change how you feel about what I say, particularly when you disagree with me. That in itself is going to make you feel like I'm attacking you... when in truth, I'm really trying to help. Take it or leave the advice as you will... but no malice is intended.

14. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I always found it isn't the knowledge that tends to be the issue, it's understanding the bloody questions

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3