In school for CSIS, but want an IT job for right now...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by El Kabong, Jan 31, 2006.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong New Member

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for maintaining such a great board, this is the best one I've found yet! However, I do have a question about IT-related jobs. I'm currently a freshman at a four-year university, majoring in Computer Science. At my school, this degree is more geared toward programming. I wouldn't mind going into programming, but I am a former automotive mechanic, and I miss working with my hands. I'm beginning to work on getting my A+ cert, I'm going to buy Mike Meyer's book this week, and start studying for it. I currently work for my school, but I'm not sure that it's where I want to be. Ideally, I would love to find some mom and pop computer shop and work there, hopefully for about 7-9 bucks an hour, fixing computers. I have a lot of informal experience, but hardly any formal experience. I've built three computers for friends, set up 4 wireless networks (also for friends... god I wish that counted as experience!). Just basic stuff like that. However, I would love to get a job at a place like that, and get as much experience as I can. What would be the best "plan of attack"? I'm planning on just visiting as many in my area as I can, and hopefully someone will be interested. Is this a similar approach to how yall got into it? Thanks a lot ahead of time, and keep up the good work!

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, to be honest, I would stay right where you are for now. I am not sure of the set up at the school you work for but most schools have a fairly complex network of computers. Chances are you will get more hands on experience there than at a local PC shop. The work you are doing for the school will count as experience!

People find their own way into IT. there is no magic key, just get yourself a cert or two, and combine them with hands on experience and start networking with IT people. Often it is not what you know but who you know.

Good luck El, and welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. El Kabong

El Kabong New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bluerinse! However, the job that I have for the school is more of a desk job, involving answering the phones and checking out equipment (presentation equipment, such as projectors and digital cameras). If I stay here, I'll eventually be trained in things such as flash, iMovie, and other multimedia production packages. It will give me good experience in the long run, but it's not really what I want to do for the next 3 years. I checked into working for the IT department of my school, but they're not hiring and won't be for a while. I appreciate your advice though!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay fair enough, now I understand. What about approaching other schools in your area to see if they need anyone to help support their IT infrastructure, even on a voluntary basis as it is the experience you are after!

5. El Kabong

El Kabong New Member

Mine is the only college around for about 30 miles... but my old high school is about 2 minutes down the road! Do you think that a public high school would allow someone to volunteer or even work for something like that?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You can ask and see what they say. You know what they say, don't ask, don't get ;-) good luck!