In for a penny......

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BobbyJo, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BobbyJo

BobbyJo New Member

Hi

Been in IT for years but never studied for any particular exam/topic. As I've mostly been the only IT employee where I work (Manufacturing) and as a result have been a jack of all trades!

I think its about time I supported my experience with some Certifications so have decided to do Comptia Network+ and Windows Server 2012, 70-410.

Never studied at home before so it seems a bit daunting. Any one study for multiple Certs at a time or is it too much to chew at one go?

Need to find a way of studying thats going to suit me, but got access to CBT Nuggets and Safari Books Online and I'm also aware of Prof Messors excellent online resources too for the Network+.

I think I've rambled enough!

BobbyJo

WIP: 70-410, Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF :)

As it's your first time studying (regardless of your experience), I would say ease yourself into it and do one course/exam/cert at a time :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here. :) Make yourself and home.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

+1

Hi and welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi and welcome :)

Maybe try one at a time and see how you go. One thing I remember Mike Myers saying from the A+ book was, pressure makes diamonds". So try and decide which exam you would like to take, book the exam for a reasonable amount of time in the future -- and the study will naturally follow ;)

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  6. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

hello and welcome, It sounds like you have all the right tools, I would suggest you start with the videos (CBT nuggest) as all there is to it is watching the videos, rewinding anything you dont understand

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100
  7. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Another tip for the cbt nuggets videos, there is a plugin on there website that lets you watch the videos at 1.5x the normal speed. You can change the speed as you like. It just means that a video that would normally take you 30 minutes to get through you can do in 20 minutes or so :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  8. BobbyJo

BobbyJo New Member

Thanks for the advice and kind welcomes!

:)

WIP: 70-410, Network+
  9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+