In desperate need of advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Albert, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I feel I'm sort of stuck in a dilemma with my current situation and need some guidance from those in the know or who have been there and moved on.

I am currently working in the following role that's still being advertised below.

http://www.reed.co.uk/job-details/Newcastle-Upon-Tyne/IT-Telecoms/Broadband-Consultant/?JobID=18900332&&pg=5&l=newcastle+upon+tyne&s=52&

http://www.listening.co.uk/

I'm thinking of applying for the following.

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=49550363&Keywords=teleperformance&Market=14&Industry=1&AndOr=0&Sort=0

http://www.workmoose.co.uk/job/426507/mentors-team-leaders-and-customer-service-advisors

http://www.teleperformance.com/en/Home.aspx

The issue is I'm trying to weigh up whether I should stay or go.

Reasons to stay:
    1. Progress to a higher level (L2 and L3) customer service qualification accredited by the Institute of Customer Service (http://www.instituteofcustomerservice.com).
    2. Stay and further develop interpersonal and communication skills (specifically coaching team members, complaints handling). I will have to take the initiative and keep pestering my team manager to spend time working on this with me otherwise it just doesn't happen.
    3. Pay drop to £6.50 again, 50p reduction. I've been there since Sep 2009 and after a year, only a 50p wage rise to £7 per hr.

Reasons to go:

1. I've already achieved the L1 Communication Skills certificate and also a Level 2 NVQ in Customer Service.
    2. Don't know when I'll get to complete L2 or even L3 with the employer. It might not be in 6 months time or December.
    3. Waiting until completion of A+ certification may be too late with so many youngsters due to come out and it does not guarantee a job at the end of it anyways.
    4. It is computer support for HP, good name for the CV but only basic Tier 1 troubleshooting. I'm hoping they do have progression to higher technical levels of support internally, at the same place but don't know this for sure. Still, I think it would be just a tiny step closer on the technical path to where I want to be in the end. They do have other clients in the technology sector so diversifying is possible but how long work for a contract lasts before redundancy is a different consideration.

I know it's just another call centre but I believe they have more resources, a better reputation, higher profits and also listed on the stocks, meaning better career progression/development?

Thanks a lot for your time guys. Very much appreciated.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think you have already decided you just need someone to say you are right. I would go for the HP job if I were you, it looks like it will have better career progression and thus more money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

My first IT role was working for a large outsource company. At it's peak we had contracts for HP, Dell, Compaq, MSN and around 700 staff. I worked on HP desktops and was promoted to second line within 3 months, all HP training was free and both the name and job specification enabled me to move on when the time was right. This was however in 2000 at the IT market was very different than it is now.

I remained in contact with a few people who worked in the training department there and bit by bit the vendors pulled out, some relocated to India and it reached a peak in 2009 when 700 became 75.

If you can afford to move on then I would - I would imagine you'll get free HP training, the job role seems more technical and tiers make no difference unless you support the same thing.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I won't say go or stay, cause really only you can make that decision, however I'll just point out a few things:

1. If you are unsure whether to stay or go, why not still apply for it? You then have the option (if they offer it to you) to either accept or decline the offer, plus you'll have more information to make an informed decision.

2. If you do go for it and get it, it may pay 50p less per hour, but will you be able to make it up? Eg cost saving on petrol/travel, food (eg food is provided), etc. A 50p drop per hour may be a better situation if you save on other things.

3. If you do go for it and get it, and there is no cost savings, can you afford to live on that? I remember taking a £500-£1k pay cut to move jobs. After 2 years I was earning £3k more than the job I left, but until that point I struggled with money (plus at that point I didn't have a family).

4. How safe is the job you're thinking about leaving vs how safe is the job(s) your considering?

5. What is the training like in both jobs? How much is it worth to you if you did it by yourself?

I'm not trying to sway you either way, just making you think. This can affect your life :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Oh well, don't have to be mulling it over anymore.

I sent my CV over last night and got a phone call straight away this morning from a HR person. Wanting an interview as soon as possible, even before 6pm today. I was quite surprised on hearing the client was for Samsung though. I inquired about the HP one and unfortunately it was all full.

I don't think the Samsung campaign would benefit me much more technically than what I'm doing now with my current employer. It's the same customer service duties but doing everything related to the Samsung client, such as laptops, devices, RMAs and call centre based again.

HP on the other hand, I think would of been more relevant. I was too late. Quite gutted.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. CertifyMe

CertifyMe Bit Poster

if it was me in your shoes, I would look into things like will it be worthwhile for me, will I learn from it, and will I be able to further my career, ofcourse looking into the pay will help alot..:)

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

7. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Oh, by the way, thanks very much for all your insightful input guys.