In a bit of a rut but still going..... HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by paulwatson5, Jan 16, 2013.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hi guys, i need your help!!

About 2 years ago i decided that i wanted to start doing some IT certs and i got my CompTIA A+ certification in December 2011. Since then i have been applying for 1st line support roles but have been constantly rejected/overlooked for all but 1 role which i got an interview for, felt the interview went very well but was told that they were offering the job so someone on a lower wage.

Since then i have kept applying but no joy and despite the fact that i have a decent enough job at the minute on 19k p/a with 30 days holiday, flexi time etc.... its just NOT what i want to do.

Could someone please have a look over my CV to see if there is anywhere on it that i could imporve it.
    Also, do you think my GCSE's would hold me back from getting a job even though i sat them 14 years ago?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Just a few quick points as I have a lunch appointment.

Don't put anything in that says "after I pass this, I will study that". It's pointless and irrelevent - stick to what has happened, not what (hopefully) will.

Your listing of the GCSE's and pass marks is almost certainly now of no interest - I'd change it to "5 GCSE's" or whatever - keep the NVQ's listed though.
    Put dates of taking/passing exams!

Your CompTIA is listed like you are still doing it and this is not obvious until you read the blurb about Skills/Abilities.

Always list Exams/Certs you have passed, preferably with their designations: "MCSA: Windows 7 (70-680 & 70-685) PASSED Dec 2011" type thing.

There's more but I have to go... Hopefully other's will post helpfull comments also.

HTH.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with Richy's comments.

I'd also perhaps change the Skills/Abilities section to be less wordy, I can't imagine many recruiters will sit there and read through that if I'm honest. Bullet points or some sort of table listing your knowledge areas would fit better for me.

The only other observation is that its 4 pages long, I've always had it drummed into me that unless you have good reason, 2 pages is usually the mark to hit!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Also, do it chronologically .. your current role should be executive officer at the top, and admin underneath that.

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

^ Yes, both of these... ^

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Cheers for all the info, im going to be amending the CV very soon as you have gave me some great tips!!
    The executive officer is not top as its not my current role, I put the dates at the top to show when I was at that grade.
    I started my job here as an admin officer, then was promoted for a year to executive officer then back down to admin officer when my temp promotion finished.

7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Ahh, fair enough.

I might consider explaining it was a temporary post, because without it, I may be inclined to think it was either capitulation or demotion that got you back to where you were.

If you want to put up another version taking into account some of the issues highlighted, I am sure we will give it another look for you.

8. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

new cv added to original post. if anyone has time to have a look i would be very grateful!!

thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  9. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

All CV layouts are subjective, however I'll put in my 2p for you.

1. Reduce your CV to 2 pages. You really only need 3 if you have a CV worth 3 pages!
    2. Reduce the name and address section - It takes up nearly a 3rd of the page!
    3. After your name section start with a "Personal Statement" (see below)
    4. List your IT (or relevant) Qualifications after your statement

remember, when the CV hits the desk of the employer, your CV has to "jump out" at them. Putting your Quals near the top means that they will see them first. If they have hundreds of cv's to look at, will they bother flicking to the second page of all of them...?

Personal Statement
    Again, a subjective inclusion, but as cover letters tend to get thrown away anything you write on a cover letter is wasted. However a personal statement helps redress this a bit. A CV is strictly who you are and what you have done, the cover letter is what you want, but if this is in the bin then your CV alone may not tell the potential employee where your career is heading.

A personal statement is about what you are looking for in your next job. (tailor to fit the role you are applying for of course)
    Keep it short - two to 3 sentences max - it needs to be punchy, and no waffle or acronyms, and try talking in the 3rd person

e.g.
    Good
    "A fast learning CISCO engineer with experience of managing large organizational infrastructure. Looking to step up to the challenge of a managerial role." - says who you are and what you want in two sentences (punchy!).

Bad
    "I am currently working in network support and I am studying for my CISCO exam in FTPIICNGJHG. When I pass this I want to be a team leader." This is bad because:-

1. Written in the first person makes it sound less punchy and a bit "wet"
    2. "I am currently working in network support" does not sell you as well as "A fast learning CISCO engineer..."
    3. Don't put things like I am studying for exams. You haven't got it so it's not relevant! Also FTPIICNGJHG - acronym (made up!)
    4. "I want to be a team leader" sounds like a 8yr old compared to "Looking to step up to the challenge of a managerial role"

I'm in danger of waffling on myself now.. so to summarise:
    1. Compact the Person Details section
    2. Add a punchy personal statement (modify for the role you are going for)
    3. Follow the above with your relevant quals
    4. reduce to a 2 page cv

Again, CV layout is subjective

Good luck

G

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It doesn’t work mate. You need a personal statement that shows you are wanting a career change and have studied and passed the A+ to in your own time to try and make that change.

The first page of your CV notes a few jobs but nothing whatsoever about IT so do you really expect someone to read the second page?

You mention you have repaired some PCs for your local school – highlight this!!! Don’t have it way down at the end of your CV. Also the training of staff in regard to how to use the intranet is another good selling point.

You have excellent knowledge of Server 2003 and 2008 do you? Sorry but that sounds like utter BS to me – take that out. Also change the wording to “Good understanding of…” when referring to Windows 7, XP etc.

Revise the CV again mate as you have some good points but they really need to be highlighted – I recruit the helpdesk and third line engineers in my current job so I see enough CVs day to day!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thank you all SO much, you have no idea how much better i feel about my chances after reading your comments.
    I have made a few changes but i still need to expand and reflect on a few things and i have made these changes in "3rd version.doc"

Please have a look if get you a spare minute and let me know how's its looking.

Seriously guys, i know how precious time is these days but i really do appreciate it. If there is ever a get together in Newcastle i will buy all attendees a pint (you can hold me to that!!)

12. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

anyone had a chance to have a look at my 3rd attempt at a cv? is the layout etc better??

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Had a quick look. Improving, could you change the personal statement?

Something like “A+ certified IT professional with x years customer service experience etc etc.”

Also try and cut down the supporting information bit – it reads like a story when it should be to the point.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky, made a few changes and called it "4th edit.doc" do you mind having a glance please?

15. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Paul,
    You list that you have 14 years experience in IT, but your work experience doesn't back this up?

"Recently undertaken a number of IT jobs in a local school."

I do not see evidence of this on your CV, put it there! :D

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  16. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

What im meaning was that i have 14 years experience since i started out with computers, like building, repairing etc.
    The school work was cash in hand so can i put that on a CV as it wasnt really as if they hired me as a company.....

17. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

To be blunt, your personal statement stinks. Google "personal statement" and look at some examples. It should be about your career and what you have done so far. If the employer doesn't like it the rest of your CV is pointless.
    Change the ticks to dots or squares.
    " Recently undertaken a number of IT jobs in a local school." - what did you do, elaborate.

" Very keen to undertake further IT exams to add to my current certifications" - aren't we all, but meaningless

"who I produce daily" - poor English

I don't like the "temporary Promotion" bit. It makes me want to ask why you weren't good enough to keep the position and why you haven't managed to move back up in the following 5 years.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003