Impressed with Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

I've always been so-so with Vista, some features I like, some features I dislike. However upgrading hardware was a piece of cake.

I had a dual-core AMD Chip (AM2 socket) on a ASUS MB, upgraded my PC to a Quad-core AMD chip (2.4GHz, AM2+ socket) with a MSI MB. Vista booted up detected all the drivers, for those it didn't have it connected straight to MS Updates and downloaded what it needed.

The whole process, from installing the new hardware to Vista installing everything to doing the WEI, took under 1 1/2 hours. Now it's just taking 2 hours to transfer data from 2 HDD's to 1 large HDD (transfering just under 300gb of data).

Now just waiting to see if I'm going to get one of the new Nvidia 260 (either one of the pre-overclocked ones or one of the ones with the extra 24 cores).

Now with 6gb of ram, 2 HDD's, 1 DVD writer, the MSI MB, the quad-core chip, and hopefully a new nvidia 260 GC (I currently have a 8800GTS), I hope my 650 watt PSU will cope. What do you think?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a GTX260 maxcore oc2 edition (24 extra cores), it's great, I haven't tried Crysis yet but Call of duty 4 runs at full wack settings 4x anti alaising and no stuttering what so ever. Everything is smooth and silky and I might add better running than the console version by miles.

Mine is the BFG version.

MY PSU is a 700w seasonic M12 I was worried that this wouldn't be any good but it is enough, You could be pushing it with 650. The recommended wattage on the back of the box for OC2 version is 525W.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I am testing Vista only on my VirtualBox.
    I rather stick to old XP Pro.But I am looking forward for Windows7.
    Most businesses still use XP, If Vista they had to exchange all hardware.Not realy good idea especially when the crisis is here.You can do it at home but for company which run 450 machines it is beyond the cost so far.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Nice spec of machine you both:), seems like I'd have to carry on with my socket 939 amd athlon for a bit more and my 2gb ram for the forseeable future:eek:.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell