Implimentation of iPhones in a business

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

We have recently been told that iPhones will be available as an option on the new phone contract we are moving to. However the bosses havent given us a chance to try and work out those nice plociy issues that spring up sourrounding them so I would be interested to see what those of you who have already implimented this have done.

As I see it there are two big policy issues which revolve around the use of Itunes and Apps. My understanding is that you set Active Sync up on the exchange and that manages the email/calendar/contacts side of things but does itunes then let you manage media and apps serperatly?

I suppose that I am concerned about is the how we control what the users are putting on there so they we are not held in a lialble position for things like unlicensed music and apps that are not cleared for use on the network.

Any pointers from those of you who have done it would be very welcome.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yup, that's exactly how it works.

As for licencing issues ... well people could put music they they don't own on to their laptops (but they could already do that anyway) and transfer it to the iPhone via iTunes (the worst piece of software known to mankind btw).

As for applications, they can only be bought legitimately from iTunes ... unless somone Jailbreaks the iPhone. Then they could put pirated stuff on there. So I guess the main thing to emphasise is that any tampering with the phone's OS is strictly forbidden. Apart from anything else it would invalidate the phone warranty.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

We were supposed to be rolling them out a couple of months back but it keeps on getting held up. I can only advise from my side of things but our users set them up themselves and activate then using the itunes we have advertised on their laptop, and this is all it can do. Then their outlook accounts just sync as normal over the air. They are allowed to use their personal itunes accounts on home pcs if they want to but it wont ever sync with their laptop as the feature is disabled.

This is my understanding of how it is supposed to work.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. Gingerdave

On the PC very much so!

So in this instance they could take the phone home and sync their personal media on to it or does it have to be done from something in the domain?

Also can you set the exchange syncing to work over OMA?

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The phone is not in anyway domain aware other than the fact that the mail client on it will work with an exchange server. AFAIK people could sync their personal media to it, but I'm not sure if you can have multiple devices supported on a single instance of iTunes (I avoid using it if at all possble).

As for OMA I think it will work like that, but we used active sync on our exchange server as it was easier.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Gingerdave

Thanks for the response guys, Rep left.