Immutable Laws of The Server Room

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by zebulebu, Oct 31, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Post yours here.

My two to get this started:

1 - The Law of Exponential Cable-Twist Multiplication

Wherein the entanglement-to-time-spent-untwisting ratio is directly proportionate to the number of 3M Cat5/6 cables in any single given container, and growth by even a single cable multiplies this exponentially each time a cable is added. 2 cables = 10 seconds, 3 cables = 30 seconds, 4 cables = 2 minutes etc etc. 40 cables in a single plastic crate, chuck in a few RJ11 phone leads and some 12v power adapters with skinny cords and you may as well try solving a Rubik's cube in one hand and the LeMarchand Configuration in the other simultaneously. Blindfolded.

2 - The Law of Equidsitance relating to SAN Disk failures

Wherein the time of failure of a second SAN disk on the same date will be calculated - to the nanometre - to occur at a point equidistant between your frickin data centre and your frickin office after you have just frickin left one for the frickin other.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Having a fun day, Mr Zeb?

I can think of billions of potential funnies, and absolutely no way of posting them in the same witty manner you just have.

I think I'll go give the grey matter a rest, and come back in the morning!

I got as far as the 'Quantum Comms Room' and putting the new guy in there with a patch cable. Someone else can make up the rest, relative to all the epic fails that have been experienced afterwards...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'll give it a go. . . .

3. The law of deposition by sub space anomoly

The unexplained phenomenon where by you go into a nice clean server room one day, and the next day its littered with failed disks, tapes, server rack sliding thingy's and cables YET when you ask the teams what scruffy b***tard left them there, they don't know! Leading top scientists to believe the only explanation is teleportation by random pockets of energy in sub space. . . . either that or lazy twats. . . . the research is still inconclusive

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

4 - The Law of File Restoration

Wherein the one backup tape/USB key/flash media/CD/DVD/hard drive/SAN array/NAS device that you need to restore a file will have failed, be missing, or be otherwise unavailable. If the media is available, it will not contain the file or files you are looking for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

5 - The law of inverse plug removal

The more difficult you make it to remove a plug from a wall socket and the more obvious you make it that it should NEVER be unplugged, the more likely you make it that a cleaner will unplug it to do a spot of hoovering.

A plug in an obvious socket, conveniently placed half way along an otherwise empty wall with gather dust and go un-noticed for years. The one right behind the server cabinet that takes a layer of skin off your arm just trying to reach it, painted red, superglued into the socket, with gaffer tape over it, with a dyno label on saying 'do not switch off' - will draw a cleaner like a lamp draws a moth and will get unplugged at least once a week.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Lovin it

I make that five so far...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

6 - People value their own comfort over £X0,000

Folks will turn the air-con off in the server room because it's a 'bit chilly' in there.

And forget to turn it back on again.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

6b (addendum)

If hypothermia sets in (largley because the Air Con was never positioned correctly in the server room) then £X0,000 can b***er off.

6c - Death by server fans

Hypothermia isn't as bad as bleeding ears when all your servers fans have hit 20,000rpm because they are too hot!

6d - Every cloud ...

If you reach 6c, then simply slide your server out on it's rails and cook a full English breakfast on the top of the server until the air con is fixed or turned back on. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

4b (Addendum)

This will always be discovered as a result of a user admitting they deleted the vitally important file in question 3 weeks previously and didn't say anything.

This will then be your fault.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well not a good idea to try talking on tech support line in the server room with the air con on full blast and the SAN systems sounding like an helicopter.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

That sooo f***king pi**es me off!

12. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

7. The law of Opposing Prevention

The lacklustre and laissez-faire approach by finance managers to support preventative measures of system failures via upgrade/patching or being maintained, is directly propositional to the criticality and urgency of the eventual failure.

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

8 - The law of admin rights.

Despite configuring GPOs and lock down polices a piece of software will be purchased by someone in accounts which requires “full admin rights” to run. Expect to see realplayer and yahoo toolbar on your desktops the following day.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. BosonMichael

Repped for absolute truth!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

9. The Law of dot matrix printers

In every payroll department there is at least one geriatric dot matrix printer which is being kept alive using spare parts from Ebay and duck tape. It only connects to a lone 486DX running Windows 95. It can only be operated by one middle aged woman called Sue.

Its survival is your number 1 priority.

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  16. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

To be fair anything in Payrole is my number 1 priority because if they dont work I dont get paid.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  17. Rich165

Rich165 Bit Poster

...by strange quirk of fate, we've a live win 3.11 box driving a dot matrix printer :ohmy life without a start bar, truly dark times!:shocked

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP Server 08 & Exch07, CCNA, CCNA Sec
    WIP: ...everything else!!
  18. BosonMichael

And people laugh when I tell them that old OS support is STILL a good skill to have! :biggrin

19. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If you have never stood in a server room to get warm your not hardcore.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  20. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Couldn't agree more. A few weeks ago I had to look at a Windows 3.11 PC that run a piece of BACS software (transmits files to banks). Add to the mix it was on its own ISDN line and modem (128k) which I haven't seen for years!

I've also worked on PC's running OS2 Warp within the last few months too, now there's one you don't see every day :eek:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs