Imaging a MAC over a network from a Windows box?

Discussion in 'Software' started by webslinger2k, Apr 10, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Is it possible?

I need to image a MAC with OSX on it, from a windows machine, and have the image taken deployable from the windows machine again.

I am basically just trying to create some form of recovery for one of the test boxes on our LAN, whilst keeping its configuration.

As is well documented - I know sweet FA about the lovely MAC world....Google is all well and good, but would rather have some advice from someone with experience do this over some random search results.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok let me see if I get this right, you want to copy over OSX from a Windows machine and then try to and operate OSX on the Windows machine? as in run OSX thru a windows network?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think what he means is that he's got a mac OSX image saved to his windows PC and now he want's to transfer that image to a mac.

Am I correct?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

sorry - probably not explained the best.

I want to image the Mac that I have in my testlab environment, it is MAC OSX. I then, want the option of storing that image on whatever location I deem fit, in this instance, a windows box.

Then, if possible, when needed be able to deploy this image over the network to the Mac.

I am having difficulty using the disc utility that comes with Mac OSX, as it is constantly throwing up errors relating to the device being busy - and I cant as yet, find another way to go about getting the job done.

I really dislike Macs - but I think its more to do with my lack of knowledge on them thats the problem rather than the Mac itself.

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well being that I used to work for Apple, I dont think this has ever been done and nor can it be done...however I could be wrong...your best bets are either: Google, the Apple website or ring Apple tech support...then see where you get... :biggrin good luck man

6. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Cheers for the heads up Noel.

In the end I opted to use a tool called SuperDuper to image the drive onto a windows share. The image itself is on the large size, near 16Gig. I am now faced with the prospect of deciding what to do with that image to restore it.

I think I may opt for just leaving just the third part apps that I have installed in the image, and using the restore discs from the manufacturer - then placing the apps from the image back on manually after.

That seems about the easiest way I can find to get the job done at the moment :(

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

this is why I prefer PCs to Macs...:biggrin