I'm now an MCDST - Yay!!!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Pabs, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

Hey all,

Today I passed my 70-272 exam with flying colours, making me the MCDST inside 1 month :)

I must say that practical experience counts for SOOOOOO MUCH! I did a fair bit of revision as well, but that's all it was - revision.

Anyway, I actually passed with a mark of 1000! That's 100%! I cannot believe it! :biggrin It was quite an easy exam, but I definately needed to do a bit of thinking in a couple of places. That said, all questions had 1 answer only - none of the multiple-answer questions.

Seriously well chuffed! Already starting revision for my 70-270, and then i'll use that and my MCDST towards my MCSA.

Yay!

Certifications: MEng, MCDST, MCSA, CCA
    WIP: ITILv3, CCENT, MCTS
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Congratulations on the pass! Get yourself a beer :alc

And 100%... wowzers!! I've been thinking of the MCDST myself - what programs do you usually work with/support to give yourself a good work grounding?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats, what's next on the cert hit list?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

thanks mate - appreciate it!

I didn't know what the maximum mark was, as I didn't think it was known. But with a mark of 1000, and all of the areas on the results sheet at maximum (ie none need development) i can only assume it is full marks!

TBH A huge amount of the questions were answered with my practical experience knowledge - however I do purchase all of the Microsoft books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735622213/026-4383746-6756468

I have one for 70-270, and one for each of the MCDST exams. These books definately cover the material required - and the few areas I wasn't sure of (like newsgroups and OE - don't really use either in our corporate environment) these books covered easily :)

5. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

Just trying to get my head well into my MCSA - I work with servers on a daily basis too, but nowhere near as in depth, so I doubt I'll be able to do any of the other server exams as quickly. LOTS of revision/learning to do there IMO.

I can't see 70-270 being that hard (in oomparison with the MCDST) so I'm planning on doing that in the next month or so I hope.

I really want to get my "fingers in many pies" so-to-speak. I want to get experience in as many fields as possible, to try and cover my bases when it comes to new-job time. I'm thinking Citrix will be good to learn, as well as the Cisco courses. However, i think both of those will be near-on impossible for me at the moment, as I have almost 0 practical experience.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations Pabs, what a nice score mark too. Well done:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

Congratulations on your pass! I thought I had done well with 983 in that exam:twisted:

Having both 70-270 and MCDST under my belt, as well as trained students for both, IMHO 70-270 is a somewhat harder exam in that it looks at a different level of knowledge and experience. In the DST exams you are tested on first line troubleshooting and most problems have a relatively obvious solution. In 70-270 you are coming from the perspective of a network administrator, looking at ways of configuring systems to avoid problems. This was also the opinion of my students who studied both ways (DST then 270 and the other way round)

Please don't let that put you off in any way, but I would advise you not to be too blase about 270. Do you have any self tests to give you an idea of what will be in store?

Tom

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  9. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

congratulations

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  10. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

I obviously have the MeasureUP CD that came with 70-270, so that'll do for starters. :)

I'm going to give things a rest tonight - but i expect I'll start the revision for it this week! However not sure how far things will get, as we are virtually exchanging contracts on our new house, so many many things going on in my life at the moment :ohmy

Anyway - thank you so much for your posts - it means a lot to me!

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Wow, 1000 well done!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  13. Node

Node Byte Poster

wow congrats, very impressive done both exams in 1 month!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  14. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

thanks all!

Since this thread, I've also done 70-270 and passed with 840 ish, and I'm booked in for my 70-290 in early January.

Fingers crossed I get through that one as well - although I'm not looking forward to 70-291 as I hear it's a nightmare!!!!!!

15. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

Grats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade