Im having a moan

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Feb 3, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK so im a student and before people judge me i have actually worked and paid taxes.

I went to the Uni library on thurs to get some books ordered. We get £200 per year for books so i decided on a few that i needed. So i actually thought i found the isbn numbers and then took my selection to the people at the library and they ordered them.

I thought they would of got them from the likes of amazon etc, as they had loads of the books i wanted and some were a lot cheaper than buying brand new, and also i could get them in 2 or 3 days.

I spoke to some dimwit behind the counter who didnt know anything and then this bit left me dumbfounded. We have to order the books from the unis 'suppliers'. That bit wasnt that bad as i thought oh well at least they will be brand new books etc.

He then said that 3 out of the 4 books i wanted were out of stock and he didnt know when they will be re stocked, but the other book which was a thesaurus would take about 3 weeks.

How bad is that, i think im going to have a moan to the people at uni as i dont think that this is fair at all. Being given the money to be told that you have to buy from a certain place who cant be sure when something is going to be in stock and when it is in stock it takes 3 weeks.

How bad is that
    Sorry rant over
    I feel better

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Are the Uni insisting that you have to buy the books from them with the £200?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. zxspectrum

Yeah they are, though i will look into this in more detail on monday when i ask one of the tutors. They have a supplier but in my eyes a supplier would have some of the stuff in stock and id they didnt they would bend over backwards to get you what you want. Also 3 weeks for a book, bloody ridiculous.

Eddie

4. AndrewPS

AndrewPS New Member

You'll probably find the uni gets a commission from the supplier. You probably could get the exact same books from Amazon, but then you'd have to pay for them!

5. zxspectrum

Oh i know they do but to be honest why dont they say ok look instead of 200 quid well give you 150 and well pocket 50 etc. Then i can get some good deals on amazon and also get the stuff in a few days etc ??

Eddie

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Must be rubbish commission they're being paid, seeing as there is 3 out 4 books out of stock :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I been lucky in that my uni library has every book on the reading list and multiple copies too.. i know there is some arrangement but take a look at http://www.abebooks.co.uk/ there might be something there for a good price...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

an old colleague of mine got a bill from school for a book his daughter had lost, was for £30 (an example) and apparently this was the value it cost the school to replace it. he bought same book off amazon for a tenner less then sent book and a letter saying 'I managed to purchase this book for £10 less than the school from Amazon.co.uk maybe if the school purchased all their books from here or other seimilar sites then there would be more money for other educational needs'

says it all really, this is based on a true story btw and not made up for the sake of it!!!

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  9. tune

tune Bit Poster

The college have to take their cut too. It's win win for them.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-299
    WIP: MCSA