I'm a site administrator!

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by tripwire45, Oct 7, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No one was more surprised than I was to discover this. I was at a staff meeting on Thursday with my team (they develop and support software apps for Micron). I'm on contract with the ISSOPS team to develop their intranet site in MS SharePoint. Four teams have combined into one so they have a lot of web information scattered all over the place.

Anyway, we had a "guest speaker" in our team meeting who's a SharePoint guru. We needed some information on managing documents and security in SharePoint (I've been learning by trial and error and surprisingly have gained quite a bit of knowledge).

She opened my eyes to quite a few features I didn't know about (or at least didn't know how they worked). She asked the team who their site admin was and they all pointed to me. I was shocked.

I pretty much consider myself a technician and documentation consultant but a website administrator? I thought about it and I guess it's true. No one knows as much about that site as I do (and after all...I put most of it together).

In the course of creating the pages, I've learned a lot about html and a smattering about CSS and JavaScript. I have a challenge coming up involving XML so I may be bugging you with some questions.

Just thought I'd share this "revelation" to you. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bad luck mate!

Bummer...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good luck with your future projects, James :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well done and good luck :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good luck James

I've been given the role of Technical Admin on our SharePoint! Sounds like there will be a few e-mail's flying back and fro! Do you use Skype?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Strange how life changes things without us realising it at the time.

Congrats Jim, sounds like an interesting new hat to wear 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

wow, interesting, good luck with the administration tripwire45.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Way to go, bro!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats (if you like it), bummer (if you don't). Now down to the crunch does this mean a pay rise :D or does this just mean more work for you :x ?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wish! Actually it's not a "promotion". I guess I've been the site admin all along by definition but just never saw my role that way.

BTW...the process of getting a permanent job with Micron is continuing to move in the right direction. My team lead and I got together Friday to brainstorm and decide what to put in a document justifying my being assigned to his unit as a dedicated resource. The ISDocs team typically runs all the documentation resources for Micron so they may actually end up supervising me.

My contract expires in the middle of November so the decision one way or the other will have to be made by then. I'll keep you posted

Certifications: A+ and Network+