im a bit confused

Discussion in 'A+' started by johnc86, Apr 7, 2006.

1. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

right then, iv decided i want to take the course but when iv looked for centres to take the exam on comptia website the only place is devon! im in north west england. is there a complete list of places you can do the exam anywhere that anyone knows about? i rang learn direct but im pretty sure the person i spoke to had been the subject of a lobotomy.....they where of no use.

the other thing is that there appears to be 3 seperate a+ units: hardware, os and network. or are they all part of the same thing? if not which is best to take? i looked at the os description and it looks i bit easy (intalling windows, formatting drives etc). surely that must just be part of the whole qualification?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/glancebox.aspx

The A+ is a good entry level exam, also in regard to installing O\Ss it starts back at Windows NT straight through to Windows XP. Worthwhile as many companies still use Windows NT. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hi John

Follow the links here to Pearson or Thompson (these two companies offer premises where you can sit the exam. There seems to be no real difference between the two, so pick the nearest testing station to you.

Follow the links in my post in this thread for the recommended book for A+ and where to buy discount vouchers to pay for the exam (Pearson only here I'm afraid).

There are two exams for the A+: Core Hardware and OS. The Network+ is a separate cert and a separate course.

As to how easy it is, well that depends on how much you already know and how much experience you have. Don't underestimate the difficulty level or you may end up paying twice! :eek:

Good luck :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  4. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

thanx v much for both of them they where v helpfull (im looking into it now).

another question though if you dont mind. you say there are 2 exams os and harware. which is the better to do? do you learn a bit of both no matter which one you go for? which one did you do?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

there can be a slight overlap on either exam. Go to Comptia, get the objectives and decide which exam you want to study for first. I would say they are broad as they are tall....

Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

cheers i will. the only other question I have is do you only have half the qualification of you do one part or are they both separate qualifications on there own?

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You only get A+ if you pass both exams. Pass just one and you get nothing!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

For the A+ you need to do both the OS part, and the Hardware Part, to be a qualified A+ Technician.

If you pass just one part, you cant call yourself A+, or half A+ certified. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Ooops Harry, you beat me to it!

:twisted:

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

More a case of 'snap!' :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

right i see cheers lads nice 1 ;)

12. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Except Prometric don't seem to add VAT or tax onto the price if you go through them. Academic if you're paying with a discount voucher but it's nice to save a bit of cash.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA