IIS Shows Ip Address When Using Directory Browsing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Diides, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Diides

Diides New Member

Hi, Does anyone know how to stop IIS showing The Ip Address Of the server on The top left hand corner when it is used to list just files, has no HTML Files at all, it is just used as a fileserver, i know if you use a domain to access it, it will use the domain name instead of the ip... but accessing using the ip only, shows external ip, or a forwarding domain from NO-IP.Com also shows the ip, surely there is a way to hide this?!

Any Ideas?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why do you need to hide the IP mate? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think this is an IIS issue, it sounds more like standard browser behaviour, and i don't know of any way to prevent a browser from displaying the URL or IP of the site it is connected to.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Diides

Diides New Member

Its Not SO much to hide the ip, but usually when a domain name is use, E.G, MyDomain.co.uk, when connected, iis displays this in the explorer bar and on the top left hand side of the directory being viewed. but all of a suddon this has stoped, and the IP is diplayed instead of the domain name, . see pics to understand,
    http://www.smalllinks.com/42G : Local Host Displayed, This is Where The Domain usually is
    http://www.smalllinks.com/42H : With Ip Displayed, How it is When Browsing Using External IP

all i want to do is get the domain name displayed where the ip is.

Any Ideas?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

By entering an IP address rather than a URL, you are bypassing *DNS*, it is DNS that maps the domain name to the IP address.

So, you need to use either a properly registered domain name or one that can be linked to a dynamic IP address. dyndns.com for example. I think :rolleyes:

6. Sparky

Is the domain actually registered?

For the locahost one do you actually type http:\\locahost or http:\\<IP address>> to access the files?

It sounds like you may need DNS configured correctly to do this. On your DNS server on the LAN create a forward lookup zone called mydomain.co.uk. After that create an A record called www and make the IP 192.168.1.65.

Also in IIS create a host header called www.mydomain.co.uk. After that ping www.mydomain.co.uk from a PC on the LAN and make sure it resolves to the correct IP. Clear temp files in IE and the try accessing the site and see what happens.

Also if you publish the website with an external IP I think the host header in IIS should display instead of the IP.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was under the impression that Diides was accessing this server externally, therefore i dont see how having internal DNS server records configured is going to change anything. As they wont be queried by external requests.

The host header idea might work though.

8. Sparky

I thought that as well but the 'localhost' pic made me think he is testing this on the same network as the web server.