IIS doesnt work on winXp home :(

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by sirdragon, May 14, 2004.

1. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

hey guys

Does anybody know how to get hold of a working copy of IIS or its eqvielent.

As I cannot get it from my copy of win XP.

And it is rather essential to my studies at this point.

Please reply to my email addy

many thanks

martin

[email protected]

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

IIS has (i dont think) ever worked on a 'workstation' or lower OS, its only a server app, at some point they had available PWS which was some personal web server job, that was kind of at the height of the 'every man and his dog has a webpage made from frontpage templates' era in the late 90s
    im not sure if PWS is still available, but IIS would require Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server im sure

you should be able to get a trial version from MS

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Phoenix, IIS comes with XP pro but I'm not sure if it also comes with XP home.

Sirdragon, you should be able to DL a trial version from MS.

Edit: I've just been checking it out and I can't find anything about IIS anywhere on MS. Anything I search for just returns an error. :?:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yeah what i meant was it doesnt come with a desktop level OS lol
    like 95/98/XP Home

it DOES come with workstation level OSs, usually has certain limitations (5 concurrent connections?) but its used to web development testing and such :)

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry. my bad interpretation between desktop and workstation. For me they're both the same thing. :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well at the hardware level workstations rival the power of some servers
    desktops do not

at an OS level, a WS (wintel) would run an NT based OS not a 9x based os (yes i consider XP home to be 9x based), or possess some kind of robust environment for development/business level products

desktops are geared at consumers, usually have crappy hardware, etc

thats the basic difference, but i understand u not considering the two different :)

7. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

cheers guys

will try and get hold of a download version, trial version may be ok for just testing the ASP as that is what i need it for as part of my CIW course.

Any one know of any other prog's that will test ASP pages and will run on a crappy desktop :? :wink:

as i sure aint got the funds to get any servers :lol:

cheers martin

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if you can get some form of upgrade to XP Pro you will get a cut down IIS server that will let you test web pages and such
    i recommend anyone doing any sort of development use a XP Pro or 2k PRO as a rule anyway

good luck mate

Apache is free, but doesnt support ASP stuff, not without an expensive 3rd party module i believe
    however it does support PHP if you ever get into that instead

9. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

Ta Pheonix,

Halycon's instant ASP has also been recomended as well, anyone used this prog' is it any good.......

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware it doesn't come with XP Home and I don't think XP Home supports IIS but i could be wrong... :eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

Hi Guys

ended up getting the winxp pro, but not having any luck getting the darn thing to work

I am using XP Pro, with all ISS components installed
    I have set up a new connection through ie.
    set up the MMC
    bypassed proxy servers,
    set dial up to never dial a connection
    cannot think of anything else to try ....
    any ideas???

oh for some reason i can view asp pages through Dreamweaver 4 using the preview in browser function. will all aspects of asp work in dreamweaver? if so i may as well use that as this is taking forever to work out.....

all advice gratefuly accepted

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

can you just not access the local webserver? or is it a permissions error (ie pops up a login box)

http://localhost/ should work fine once installed, check to see if the service is running and if a website is defined and mapped to an ip (all available is usually fine for this purpose)

13. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

the local webserver is my own machine, I have tried http://localhost/localstart.asp but it runs straight to the dial up. even tried http://127.0.0.1 as a loop back to no avail

tried running the asp pages supplied with the NITLC course and ie will display the page but without the asp #includes. which leads me to think that the darn thing is not working, as my machine dont apear to be functioning as a local server........

me not happy bunny :(

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hang on IE trys to dial up your net conn?

just go to the settings and disable auto dialup?
    set to 'Never Dialup'

sounds like you have tried that though

15. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

yep done that, sets up a pop up saying' page not available offline' and throws the usual cannot find server page on ie.

only thing i can think of is have i got the right protocols loaded, or else i need something loaded i havent got as this comp was previously just used as a standard laptop....

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What about the LAN setting in underneath the connection section of the same window. Is there anything in there that could be causing it to look for a proxy server? Just a thought.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

do you think i should set it up to auto detect settings for LAN?
    or maybe, set up a proxy server with my local address although how i would do that is beyond me lol especially as i dont have a physical LAN to play with .......

18. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Try it with the auto detect on then off without anything in the manual proxy part.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  19. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

nope no luck, but then i dont suppose it would as that would only become active if the comp went to connection. the main problem is the comp is not functioning as a server in the first place. tried loading in netware but apart from it trying to find internet connections that do not exist and giving me an extra log in procedure that i dont need it has made no difference so far.

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

as long as you have TCP/IP your fine, can you confirm IIS is running correctly?