If you have an IT degree, why take certs?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mathematix, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Then things are changing somewhat from when I went through. I didn't have to learn any of the command line stuff to pass my MCSE. I think I had a total of 2 questions in 7 tests, and maybe 5 or 10 pages out of 7 books that were probably an average of 700 pages long. That's not much to include in an advanced cert.

Take a look at the LPI certs to see the difference in knowledge and understanding between it and a MS cert. You will see that you're required to know a much different level of system administration than you do to pass a MS cert.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sweeping statement. What facts are you basing this on? What percentage of Microsoft certified techs also use Linux? I don't know, and I don't believe your statement to be true. I do know that the hard sell, pushing a product or idea will not achieve the result you want, where we all admit Microsoft are rubbish and we all format our hard drives and install Debian. Unix techs are not superior, Linux is not superior, its just different. I appreciate different skills are required, different knowledge, but thats it. Just because you can administer from a command line and I use a GUI does not make you better.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, completley different products though :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then you're focusing on YOUR experience, and not what is actually covered in the exams these days, right? In truth, you don't know what is covered in the MCSE because you don't care to figure it out... you simply harbor the same negativity towards Microsoft and those who *choose* to work with Microsoft technologies as you show in ALL of your posts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And I disagree with this sweeping statement.

It *really* boggles your mind that someone would actually CHOOSE to support Microsoft technologies, doesn't it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Just read this on the MCSA webpage

Because I'm certified, I stand out with employers. They see me as a person who is very ambitious, who loves to do what he does. And that's true; I am that person!

-Sven Vanoirbeek, Limburg, Belgium

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/benefits/default.mspx

I think that sums up my reasoning to certify myself as well lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal