If You Could Change 1 Thing On CertForums..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's the story of my life. People just don't RTFM. :wink:

I'd have to say that I wouldn't change anything at CF as such, but I *do* wish some of the new members would take more time to read the R & Gs and ask before posting things like spam, braindump requests and the like. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It's all part of life mate, I mean how many have actualy read the terms and condition page when installing Microsoft products???

People skip it click away to their hearts content, the other day at work I was callled out to a customer who could get a web page to display. What they didn't tell me they had 3 toolbars installed on IE each with pop up blockers and spyware which conflicts with our systems:rolleyes:

Whaen I asked why he need 3 tool bars, he shugged and sai "I dunno I just clicked on Yes button":blink:rolleyes:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The joy of IT! :biggrin

In saying that Google toolbar seems to appear everywhere when you are installing software. If I want it I`ll download it. <sigh> :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Another thing that came to my mind tonight is why don't CF have a section on books and training resources?

With all the study books available why don't Trip and BM review them or even the people who have used them to pass their exams and that way when someone asks what books to use, they can read the reviews?

There's one here on Amazon, which has no reviews :-

CompTIA 100 Success Secrets - Study, Computing Technology Industry Association Certification Exam Pass and Application Guide

The title is a bit suspicious:dry It almost suggest this book will gurantee you pass the exam without the knowledge of networking! 8)

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes it is funny somedays working in IT! Do you have any funny stories to tell Sparky?:blink

Also today I had to show someone how to insert a DVD into a DVD player in a computer (I know sounds simple:blink) but you'd be suprise the amount of people who put it in upside down:rolleyes:

When I asked why she didn't know how to use a DVD player she said she's not a computer boffin and doesn't know how a computer works - she just pushes the buttons!!:ohmy

6. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I changed a motherboard on one of our programming machines (just a pc running a customised XP embedded OS) not your average job for a motor mechanic mind, but it turned out it needed a BIOS update which isnt something i could do, so siemens sent their man out and he had his instructions with massive letters at the top saying DO NOT GIVE TO DEALERSHIP STAFF!! lol
    Anyway his floppy disk wouldnt work so he asked if he could check the contents on a pc, i said yes and pointed him in the direction, his response 'oh it hasnt got a floppy drive', dumbfounded i pointed him in the direction of the floppy disk shaped hole with the button sticking out and he was on his way, cant say it filled me with much confidence but it worked and he flashed the BIOS so all was well in the end

just tickled me that this guy was a pro and didnt recognise the floppy drive :lol:

WIP: A+
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

LOL! sounds like he should of gone to spec savers:p:biggrin

But your right there he should know what a floppy drive looks like!:rolleyes:

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

See my sig! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I do review books (see the Reviews forum). I just haven't had the time lately. :oops:

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Because I enjoy spending time with my family. :) I recommend the books that have worked for me or for people who I trust... I recommend the vendors that tend to do well on exams... and outside of that, I can't give any further advice.

Trip does review quite a lot of books. I have plenty enough to keep me busy without reading MORE new stuff! :ohmy

If I remember correctly, I believe many (or all) of the books from Blokdijk contain dump-like material. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:hhhmmm I did wonder if the book had BD material in it! I was just reluctant to say the word BrainDump, incase someone asks that silly question, "What's a Brain Dump?" and the cyle starts all over again of explaining why there are bad!:rolleyes:

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ooops! Sorry Trip, just seen your reviews:oops:

Wasn't haven't a go at you, just amazed the amount of question we get asked about A+ books!8)

:hhhmmm maybe I should stick to being just a lurker and keep my mouth shut!......... :tongue

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I know what you mean about the A+ books, Monkey. We did pin a "Resources" thread in the A+ forum ages ago with book recommendations, but many, many threads in that forum ask which books are best. We need to put a pop up or something for first time posters in the A+ forum with FAQs. :wink: