1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If only one book for study guide....

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rivergoat, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Rivergoat

Rivergoat New Member

Hi All...

I've been doing IT support...desktop/printer/network for some time (over 10 years), and since having been laid off in April decided I should have a cert on my resume while job hunting. I've been studying the Cert Guide by Soper/Mueller/Prowse, have read the entire book, and am reviewing and doing any practice tests I can find. The tests that accompany the book I seem to do quite well on (averaging 95% on it), but I am sure there's more than just what is covered in those mock tests.

Some free tests on line appear severely outdated, with questions pertaining to Win95/98 and NT4 and earlier; plus only on such tests have I seen questions about POST code errors; does the current 701/702 actually ask about POST codes now? Studying/memorizing material that I will never be asked is a waste.

The book pointed me to an apparent up to date free mock exam, 100 questions on each. This is the type of practice test I was looking for...plenty of questions that are actually relevant. I'm not in a position to spend a lot of money on practice tests from various sites (and in fact, I found some free demos yesterday that were so screwy I had to write the company: a multiple choice of A-D for answers listed the correct answer as "E". I wouldn't waste time or money to any company that can't even place a practice test on line without severe errors!).

So, I guess the big question is if I can pass the 701/702 with only the Cert Guide book as my study guide? (for those that might not have seen this particular one, it's a hard cover of about 1000 pages, not a quick-cram guide). I know a lot of the material anyway, and am reviewing the areas to which I have uncertainty.

Naturally, I want to pass the actual exams the first time; they are costly enough as is.

I am probably less than 2 weeks from feeling ready to take a real tests....any additional thoughts/tips appreciated.
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

There is no right or wrong way, or even perfect example to show what the best practice for getting yourself to a test date with success is.

My own way was to start with the GTS A+ study books, but this contained a lot of information and I don't take too well at reading too much, so I then found this forum which helped by discussing topics, and was informed that Professor Messer is a good resource, I went to this site and gave it a try and found this was the best way for me to study.

All in all, this worked for me but may not work for everyone but I did pass both exams first time.
    Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. cee134

cee134 New Member

Check your library, there are alot of free resources like comptia certified books which will help.
    WIP: A+