If it sounds too good to be true; than it probably is... is this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vince Polston, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

Hey guys.

Quick question. Like many of you I am always looking for better deals; especially on Windows & Office. Now the way I have always looked at it, buying MS products is this..

1. If it sounds too good to be true; than it is.
    2. With Microsoft it's not worth chancing it.

Yet at the same time I see stuff like the microsoftsoftwareswap on Reddit. They aren't selling stollen keys or cracked versions. They are selling straight up Microsoft licenses that activate and authenticate with Microsoft's activation servers.

Now they claim that they are purchasing bulk licenses from Microsoft. I've looked into this and can't seem to find how they would be legally doing so. Like have done real research and found no way of this.

My understanding is that the only "bulk" licenses you can purchase from Microsoft are the open licenses which are, again to my knowledge, not for resale.

I do everything by the book. Maybe sometimes I'm overly conservative.

But say it is legitimate. Buying a Windows 8.1 Pro license for $25 instead of dropping $199... is extremely tempting.

However if it isn't legal and above reproach I won't have anything to do with it.

I'm not just looking for your opinions (although I'd be curious on that as well), I'm looking for cold hard facts one way or the other.

Thoughts?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Dunno what they're model is, but Windows 8 licenses were pretty cheap for about 3 months after launch, these were retail licenses, again dunno if its legal to resell these but they were cheap at one point.

There are a lot pirated keys floating around and people trying to sell them, so caveat emptor.

There are also a lot ways to crack and fake activation, and people sending this stuff out also.

Shellcode can be as small as 200 bytes, so I'd be very wary of anything that doesnt look 100% legit, its worth paying $100 for a legit upgrade or OEM copy.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015