If I were to mess with the host file on the OS..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Currently learning networking and looking to do the MTA I am wondering if I were to add google.com to the host file of my mates system but set the IP address to another website would this result in anytime he were to type google.com in his browser it would send him to the site of the IP I specified? this would be absolutely hilarious if this can be done..I have a website in mind.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Read this mate :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/161808/htg-explains-what-is-dns-cache-poisoning/

I put a fake facebook.com zone on some DNS servers when customers want a quick "just block facebook" solution....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

You could easily test it on yours...

Some malware messes up with hosts file, some pirated software can prevent calling home with this method. I do recall a few support calls that boiled down to some ancient settings in hosts files. Obscure a bit but definitely good to know.

4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Yep, I often edit my local hosts file when troubleshooting or testing websites.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

wouldn't want to, or know how to do it on Mac OS as I dont use Windows PCs outside the work environment so will be testing on my mates PC when he leaves his PC unprotected next time I'm round his.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

http://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

5 minute job on Linux, Mac or Windows. Common task when developing websites.