If I run windows in VM, is there anything I can do inside a VM...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juelz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Quick question, if I run Windows OS in a VM, is there anything I could do to damage my host OS? such as messing with network settings? or is it completely safe and I can mess with whatever I want?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It's completely safe, it should offer a sandbox environment.

The OS lives on a virtual hard disk (vhd) and the VM creates virtual devices which then have device drivers on the virtual hard disk.

In some situations hackers have managed to hack their way out of the virtual machine and into the host, but these exploits are rare and most have been fixed.

Since the devices are virtual, sometimes you don't get the full features, like 3D accelerated display, etc.

Juelz likes this.
  3. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Word of warning from experience: Just don't setup a DC + DHCP on a VM at work and set the network type to "Bridged"

*Facepalm* I certainly never made That mistake again

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
    Apexes likes this.
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well yes, you can also do things like join the host client to a guest DC, but common sense should tell you its a bad idea.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As long as you don't connect the VM to the live network then you should be fine :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs