if i place a wireless n DSL modem/router, how do my wireless g adapter effect perfor

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by kobem, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i gave up ICS and decided to give a try by placing wireless modem/router in order to get the Internet connection and make my laptops go through it at the same time.

However, i am curious about something : If i put the wireless N modem/router , how do my wireless g adapters
    affect the performance on the wireless local communication ? (reducing N to the g?)

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, i would assume the wireless N device is backwards compatible and will communicate at wireless G rates.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

OK, one more thing : as i have learned so far, wireless g(802.11 g) is said to cover about 100 feet. But,
    this doesn't explain the situation that when used with single antenna or "coverage is same" when
    used with multiple antennas.

Shortly, do we experience any change on the range with multiple antennas? (for wireless g)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe a little, the hype you read is over rated and depends on the location.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

if the antennas are in the same place, i doubt it would help as the router isn't restricted by the antenna, more like physical obstacles like walls etc.
    that's kinda what WAPs are for, they need to be spread about to bounce the signal further on it's way.

i think n rounters are backwards compatible with g rated ones but be carefull as n rated ones come as either 2.4mhz or 5 i think and g rated devices are only 2.4. so you need to make sure your n rated device is running at 2.4 or you'll have problems

i believe this to be true unless someone can correct me??

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^.

If you have one of those four port linksys n routers its one hundered feet from the actual router not antenna. Remember though that the location important too as cordless phones, microwaves and baby monitors etc can all affect how strong the connection between the router and NIC are.

I usually run hardwire for my internet connection at home but I did have it wireless at one point. I tested my router and pc in various locations to see if I got a better signal at any of the locations and I did. Originally my router was behind the wall where the cordless telephone is and I found that moving the router 10 feet away gave me a better signal connection, moving it 10 feet in the other direction gave me a worse connection as it was near the microwave.

So location is very important.

You are correct btw Steve

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

:( I look on a thread started by Kobem and all I see is answers to his questions, what has happened to this place!!

Certifications: A few.
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The mods are running it with an iron fist :D still love that I can't see what koben is posting though

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

yeah you're right. I destructed the whole place before you came.

10. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

sweet! lol that must mean that some of the stuff i'm reading in my comptia book is actually sticking. I might actually do ok lol

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I thought that's what we are here for.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's not what I'm here for. I'm here to give people the tools so they can help themselves.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!