If I bought an Alfa Romeo, would I regret it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Jun 16, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Simple question really for all you motoring enthusiasts. I'm interested in buying an Alfa Romeo. Always wanted one for some reason but have heard nothing but horror stories about their epic reliability.

Seriously, is it even worth giving an Alfa the time of day? Are they that bad?

Thoughts please petrolheads! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really depends on the age of the car, it was the electrics that 'were' really bad, are they bad now? not so much.

What you have to remember is that a lot of things can have lemons at some point in the life of the product.

I would look at the age of the car and then do some searching based upon the year.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

In all seriousness, they are not as bad as the rep makes out. They had a bad rep (probably entirely justified) 20 years ago, not helped by a dreadful dealer network and abysmal rustproofing, but both of those issues have been ironed out.

I currently drive a 156 2.4JTD and I love it. They are like any other vehicle, look after it and you will have no issues. As already stated, do a little research on the model you are interested in online.

I can recommend www.alfa156.net as an excellent site of UK/European enthusiasts who are always eager to help a new/potential Alfisti!

Every true petrolhead has to have owned and Alfa at one time or another!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Exactly the reason why I want one!

The reliability horror stories really put me off though. I'm looking at an '04 147 or 156. Don't want Selespeed or anything that offers an extra ounce of reliability chaos potential!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  5. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

whether derv or petrol check for cambelt change.
    As your looking at an '04, you would be into 16v or 20v versions of the Mjet JTD. They have a history of stripping cogs on the water pump pulley, if the pulley is not changed along with cambelt so check this also! With 156, check for front wishbone (upper and lower)/drop links etc. These will rattle quite noticeably if shot. Not sure if they same applies to 147.

become a member on the 156.net forums I mentioned, the guys there are super-friendly and have vastly more experience of Alfa-ownership than myself!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT