IET and Microsoft sign membership agreement

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, May 15, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IET and Microsoft sign membership agreement

The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) has signed an agreement with global giant Microsoft to provide its certified professionals with an assured fast-track route to IET membership. The agreement enables Microsoft’s certified technical community to access IET membership and benefits.

“There are more than 70,000 Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCP) in the UK: they are vital to the success of the UK’s knowledge-based economy, especially for those organisations seeking to use IT to save money in these difficult economic times,” says Gordon Frazer, Managing Director, Microsoft Ltd and Vice President Microsoft EMEA (pictured, right). “This partnership will enable the MCP community to access the resources of the IET to help them further their careers and enhance their skills.”

Of particular interest to Microsoft certified professionals will be the new ICTTech qualification, launched in January 2009, and only awarded by the IET. ICTTech is a competence-based professional qualification for IT and communications technicians, which assesses not only technical skill levels, but also those interpersonal and professional skills that are important in career development within organisations.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Jiser
      Jiser
      Sweet better get on the MCP's then! So lazy.
    2. LordMoolyBap
      LordMoolyBap
      I wonder how many high end IT Professionals will be enticed by the ICTtech certification?

I am just thinking that if you are at MCAD level you are more than just a technician (although i am not saying being a technician is bad). But an MCAD with appropriate experience and other qualifications would better suit going for the IEng accredication either with the IET or with IEng / CITP with the BCS.

If I am correct in thinking if you apply for ICTtech you will have to apply for TMIET (technician membership) the same as EngTechs?
    3. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      The requirements for EngTech and the requirements for either TMIET or MIET are different.

As far as IET membership goes, I will be going for MIET because of my academic and work experience; however, as far as their Professional accreditation goes, I think I will only get EngTech at the moment because of my lack of higher-level (managerial) experience.

My other half with his 10 years work experience is MIET but can only get IEng, as without the academic experience they won't consider him for the CEng (he has been told).

They are (or at least certainly seem) to be more flexible on the applications than the BCS. When I applied for upgrade from AMBCS to MBCS (again due to academics and decent work experience) I simply got told to "apply when I have 5 years work experience" which I found to be very dismissive.

EDIT: has anyone actually idenitfied what level of MCP they're after yet to fast-track you?
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      It all depends on the level of work and responsibilities that you work at. Someone may have the MCAD, but that doesn't mean that they actually work at level 5 of the SFIA, however if they work at level 3 or 4 then the ICTTech is still open for them. Just like if someone had a MCSE, while it should reflect a persons experience and job role, there are many who have gained it thru one way or another.

Even though I'm already a CITP, I'm kinda tempted as it's issued by the ECUK, simply because going thru the requirements for the IEng/CEng I don't meet them :(

-Ken
    5. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Waiting to hear back about this.

-Ken
    6. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      So am I, before shelling out the £115 membership fee :biggrin
    7. LordMoolyBap
      LordMoolyBap
      Thanks for the reply,

I think I will currently still aim for IEng with BCS at the moment. I think Ken has replied to a post that I created on the rather quiet BCS internal forums saying that I should apply for MBCS as I have more than 5 years experience now which I will do in the next month or so. I have checked the ECUK website and my HND is accredited however I am still doing the further learning part time to BSc level. I will definitely apply as advised for the City & Guilds awards once achieved as well.

Ken - sorry to bother you further about this across different forums but do you know what sort of evidence you need to apply for MBCS. Do I need written transcripts from previous employers for example? I am just trying to work out how I qualify what I say I have done.

Thanks,
      Dom 8)
    8. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Oh cool, that was you? Nice to see you there (I only visit their forums once in a blue moon now).

For the AMBCS/MBCS all you have to do is fill out this application form. You do need a supporter, eg a manager, a co-worker at your level or above, etc... Who can validate your work experience. I believe I also submitted my CV, but not copies of my qualifications (I did that for the CITP).

On another note, I would also say, as well as working towards the IEng & the GCGI, go for the CITP. While the CITP hasn't taken off as well as the CEng yet, the CITP was/is going thru the process of being validated for the IITP program which is an international award (This initiative is being spearheaded by the International Federation for Information Processing, a United Nations/UNESCO consultative body). And has already started in Australia and Canada.

Hopefully with the changes that the BCS are going thru, it'll improve the CITP tenfold :)

-Ken
    9. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      After 3 days of doing a combination of e-mailing & ringing them (because this is new, no-one knew anything about this, plus I needed the info for a meeting I was going to), I finally spoke to a nice lady called Nicky (or Nikki) would actually worked on the ICTTech credential with the ECUK. According to her while the MS certs do not count towards the ICTTech (MS exams show that you have knowledge, but not practical experience which is understandable) it does count towards membership of the IET. When asked what level of MS exams you have to have, the answer was any MCP :)

-Ken
    10. LordMoolyBap
      LordMoolyBap
      cool thanks for the info
      8)

Dom
    11. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Just got an e-mail back from IET to say that this isn't going to be launched until mid-June. So keep your applications until then :)

-Ken