IE7 problem under Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by marcin_rys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Hi All

I have the minor problem with IE7 under Win Vista SP1. When you access website like msn.co.uk on right hand site you have some ads (at the moment is BlackBerry) which are missing. The same will be with Yahoo, msn.com etc. I checked this under FireFox 3.0.3 and have same results (instead of ads I have a white/grey empty square).
    [It looks like it is independent from web browser; it’s down to OS and missing app.]
    I went to Adobe website to download Adobe Flash Player but it is not changing anything. I have installed Java/ MS Silverlight as well. After this I visited websites like Nvidia, MS and etc. which usually offer you installation of the missing applets but no help.
    Did any of you come across this problem?
    As far I know this only happens under Vista – I’m aware of another 3 problems like this.

Thanks

Marcin

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA
  2. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

You haven't installed anything to help block adverts or advert websites?

I think spybot modifies the hosts file to a localhost to prevent ads

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep are you using an application like no script which will disable adverts n stuff?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

is happen on fresh OS instalation (only drivers for chipset, MB VGA, SC were installed +Nero 8 Express)
    No AV or SpyBot or Ad-aware

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In that case its either your IE security settings (too numerous to mention here - try fiddling with them until you find which one is causing it) or - if you are going through a corporate network - your proxy server or content filters.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

It might probably be your add-ons especially ActiveX. Try reinatalling ActiveX...

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Thanks Obinna Osobalu, that's good clue.

8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Had to add this as well; you can reset your IE that is after you have reinstalled the ActiveX...8)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

thanks to all for support
    I work with this problem today and is almost solved. I will post "solution" tommorow, now going to see Arsenal :D vs Totenham Hot Spurs game.

See you

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Are you really that desperate to see ads?:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

we draw 4-4, unbelievable

Code:
    "Are you really that desperate to see ads?"
    by nugget

To be honest, I don't care; but this is one of our customer; and I have to make it work.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The 3 other problem cases, are they in the same network?

My first thought (like zeb) was that it's due to the content filter of the company firewall.

Other than that, have there been any updates to IE installed recently? I know that I've approved a few lately (WSUS) but how's the situation with updating/patching at this company?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

I google out some test for ActiveX
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp
    (On one of my PC don’t pass this test, but I’m still able to see Ads :rolleyes:)

This shows me that some Active plugins are missing. I installed suggested one. And then was able to see “clock test” on this website. After this I went straight away to msn and yahoo websites and I was able to see those ads. After system restart problem come back. I went to Adobe website and re-downloaded Adobe Flash Player ver. 10.
    Then I reset IE7 settings.
    Everything was working fine; next step was KIS 2009 installation, after this all ads disappeared. We turn off “Banner Ad Blocker” in Kaspersky settings. As results we had Ads on msn.co.uk/com but those on Yahoo were missing.

HTML:
    The 3 other problem cases, are they in the same network?

My first thought (like zeb) was that it's due to the content filter of the company firewall.

Other than that, have there been any updates to IE installed recently? I know that I've approved a few lately (WSUS) but how's the situation with updating/patching at this company?

by nugget

Different systems on this network are able to show those ads. Regarding updating/patching the are in Workgroup; and all updates are done.