IE 6 and Acrobat 6 compatability problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, May 7, 2008.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Morning all. Hope you had a corking bank holiday

Quick question regarding my IE 6 and Adobe Acrobat Pro 6. If ever I am on a website and find a link to a PDF, if I click on it, it makes like it is about to open the PDF then crashes my Acrobat. Does anyone know if this is a problem that can be sorted by tinkering with the settings, or is this a re-install job?

I have altered my security settings in IE 6 to run scripted Active X plug-ins, and also tinkered with the internet settings in Acrobat so that PDF's don't open in the browser window, but still no joy.

Any prods in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cockles

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you get the latest updates for IE?
    reinstall Adobe (or see if there are any patches for that version)
    try pdf another reader to see if it is an Adobe issue

3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Is there any reason why you arent using the latest versions? Im sure that acrobat is on version 8 now and IE is version 7

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Morning guys.

Thanks for your responses. My only problem (sorry, forgot to mention this) is that this is my work PC so I'm at the mercy of our - to be honest, very efficient - IT department, in terms of installing new software. I was hoping this would be a simple case of fiddling around with the settings of one or both programmes so I wouldn't have to bother them.

I'll check for updates though at least, see if that yields any fruit.

Previously though, opening a PDF online would crash both IE and Acrobat, since turning off the checkbox in Acrobat to open PDFs in a browser, it just crashes Acrobat now.

5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Right, forget everything I've just said. I just downlaoded and installed IE 7 and it works fine now.

I use Acrobat Pro and thought I may have to re-install that, which would have been a bit of an @rse, but it appeared to have been an IE problem

Thanks chaps, another problem bites the dust