Ideas please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jan 18, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just a thought , but has anyone gone down the uni route. Im seriously of thinking of setting my self up so i can go to university in september, and so i can do the course of my choice, i know it will take either 2 or 3 years to achieve it, and i know there is never a guarantee off falling onto a job , but there never is theses days. Im trying to think longterm and id reckon that a uni qualififcation would be better than one from a company who say you can get it all so easy . :eek:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did the uni route but it was an unusual option. My local uni has both an academic side and a vocational side. Instead of taking a degree from the computer science department, I took a two year course from the vocational side. It was much more hands on and a better fit for me. Since I already have a BA, I only had to take one other course to turn my two-year degree into another bachelors. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm doing the Uni route, but I'm doing it from a different perspective. I'm already employed and Certified. The course that I'm doing however is very much alligned to what I do in my job role, and what I'd like to do in the future.

If you pick the right course then it can be just as beneficial as doing certification, but ultimately what skills are wanted lie with the employer.

8)

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I hear what you both are saying and for a change i dont seem to be put off. At this moment in time ive nothing to my name and id rather apply for a job with something than with only "im keen and entusiastic", though this may be true , employers get that stuff all the time

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Look at it from this perspective then ZX,

With a Uni degree behind you it lasts a life time and shows that you have the drive and determination to stick to something and study it. It may take you longer to get the end result than say getting the A+, and the Network+, but generally a person with a degree would be considered better educated than a person with just those certs.

The easiest way that I can think of to compare between a degree and a cert would be to put it up against say an MCSE, that is the level of knowledge and effort you are talking about.

Now, if you want the best of both worlds then look at some certs during those long Uni summer breaks, I'm sure that in the three(ish) months that you would have off during the summer you could pick up at least one cert.

Another advantage that may be of use to you may be the option of student placements where you spend a year in a company and get paid a (not a great wage) for it. This would look great on you CV.

A word of caution though, as with commercial training providers you have to make sure that the course that you pick is the one for you. There is nothing worse than getting a few months into something and then thinking 'what am I doing'.

8)

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Going to uni is also a good laugh and you can get unlimited cheap beer! :biggrin

Seriously though, if you pick the right course it will be beneficial and adding a cert perhaps when you graduate and are looking for a job or, as Simon suggests, try and get the A+ over the summer break.

Best of luck!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is true. I don't have a degree and I am probably too lazy to go for one now. However, what Simon says holds water, whether I like it or not, it is generally perceived that people with degrees are better educated.

Although I would have to say that I have met quite a few people with degrees that *I* do not perceive as being well educated. Quite the opposite in fact :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)