1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal Training PC

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MrNice, Oct 18, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I Just wanted to find out what other trainees have set up at home? I Have a Dell(boy) P4 2.2Ghz with 256MB RAM and a 40Gb HDD running XP Home, since I started my A+ I have been considering setting up my PC as a multiboot, I think the need for this may become even greater when I start my MCSE? Do you think my PC would handle having Win98, Win2000Pro, and WinXP on it at the same time?
    I find a lot of the time studying It would be beneficial to actually do what I am reading about etc.
    What does everyone else do?
    Mark :rolleyes:
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Firstly, is there any chance of getting chance of a second PC (no great spec) in order to grasp the very basics of networking, as your gonna need this at some point ?

Other than that, your main box is more than adequate at this stage.

Now - take to the stage, Phoenix ... :biggrin
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

If you are in a position to upgrade your present machine then memory would be the quickest and easiest upgrade. A second machine (even a cheap second hand low spec unit) is a must for practise. Failing that try to get hold of a program called VMWare that lets you run virtual machines.
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have a reasonably high spec Laptop from my work thats set up with XP Pro but it's all configured for their network so that it updates automatically and syncronises every time I dock it. I take it I am unable to use that?
    I am trying to get my hands on an older PC at the moment and was considering building a high spec box for as little as possible, but with Xmas just round the corner this looks unlikely. I can do some of the stuff at work on the training PC's but it's just finding the time, I work from my car most of the time.
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

You could use your work laptop for exercises always assuming that:

Work don't mind
    You can enable seperate hardware profiles
    It has a NIC or Wirless NIC (and you a wireless access point at home)
    You can risk trashing it and having to take it back to work to have it re-built.
    You can change domain memberships as and when.

TBH i'd be a bit surprised if your IT dept allowed you to do this, I doubt we would at work without asking for a very large disclaimer from you!!!

A friendly IT dept may well have "spare" laptops (or even desktops) they are prepared to lend you for this. I would ask your manager to have a friendly word with IT, after all they can only say no.
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was contemplating adding a section to my vmware article about an 'ideal training rig' that utilises vmware, infact i was considering selling such devices, but i havnt gotten around to it yet

ideally for the mcse you will want vmware, its an asset thats second only to a real production enterprise network

for vmware to run with a number of machines at once you will ideally want 2GB of memory, and a P4 HT / Ath64/Opt based processor, purely for the increases in the processor architectures, not the 64 bit power, the athlons have Hyper-Transport and onboard memory controllers, and the HT p4s have well, hyperthreading and dual logical processors (great for vms)
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I agree you need to source yourself another PC to network with. Also with dual boot systems I was always told that it's best to keep each OS on a seperate physical hard drive as it can cause problems otherwise.
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011