IDE query in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Oct 2, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Does Windows 2000 support hard disks and cd-rom drives on the same IDE controller.

I've been trying to find an answer to this all evening.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Yes it does, I've never had any trouble with it, are you?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ditto

:D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For sure it does, Flex, as do all versions of Windows. The IDE technology occurs way before your PC even sniffs Windows (hence you gotta Auto-type any new drives in BIOS)

What sort of problem are you encountering ? Any IDE probs would almost certainly be detectable from within BIOS set-up, aside from bad/loose cabling, jumpers, etc

Give us a few more details, and lets see what we can do ...:thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The thing is I knew before that IDE controllers can handle two devices.So I presumed this meant any combination of devices.Indeed, from your answers, this looks the case.

This was actually from a test question.I don't want to write the whole question here, because that is against copyright.However, the thing is, this question leaves only the option of saying that a hd and a cd-rom can't be on the same IDE controller.

I personally think the question is slightly flawed.In fact the question says answer the most likely reason, therefore I'll just have to go over it again.

Thanks.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Go check my "2 CD-ROMS on one cable" thread - some good info came from that.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Just checked out the thread, excellent stuff.Thanks a lot.

I'm getting better at hardware stuff.Threads like that help a lot.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Flex, I've always maintained you've got to make the stupidest of mistakes in order to truly learn form them :idea:

Just a shame I make them so often ........ :oops:

9. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I have gone over the question (being on the same course as flex!) and rulled out the IDE listed problems right away... then I checked the rest down... found no problems there and then started dis-believing my own hardware knowledge!

The question does appear to be flawed.

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Post the question: :arrow: just so we can give our comments.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It's a transcender question.It's copyrighted I think.Don't want to get this site into trouble.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No harm in paraphrasing it, tho' :?:

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I started to install Windows 2000 Server on my computer.I started the installation from the CD.However, the installation failed and I got an error message.

I don't know what's causing this, so I checked my hardware to see if I they meet the minmum requirements.

I have 128MB of RAM, which should be enough.My CPU is a Pentium 166, which I'm sure should be alright to run server on.My hard disk is 1GB and my CD-ROM has 24x speed.

My CD-ROM and harddisk are both attached to the same IDE controller.

I'm not sure what's causing the error.Any advice?

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

HAH :!: I think I remember that one :!: Tricky wee number it was, too...

Oh, I mean to say, sorry to hear you're having this problem, Flex :oops:

I recall that YOU TOLD US :P that although you meet all the hardware requirements for a w2k Server install, YOU have in fact chosen to do it using the FAT file system, which uses a larger cluster size than NTFS (the file system of choice).

This in effect reduces the available HDD space available for the install to less than the 650 Mb (plus Temp space) required.

As a result, the pre-setup routine will fail, even tho' everything else seems OK.

Hey, at least if I'm wrong, it sounded good for a minute, eh ?

15. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I haven't choesen the FAT16 file system.I can't remember which file system I chose.However, with a 1GB HD then I suppose FAT16 would have been the default.Would it?, or maybe I chose NTFS, can't remember now.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I think the key here is that NOTHING is mentioned re the file system. I mean - who would choose FAT 16 ??? FAT 32, yes, for a dual-boot with 9x (NTFS, but nothing has been said of the file system at all, and your hardware spec is all fine, so I believe this may be your problem.

What were the "other suggestions" you were given ?

Only other thoughts would be that your HDD or CD-ROM aren't on the HCL, but I'd doubt it.

Whatever, this is NOT an IDE problem.

17. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I think your right Jakamoko.

Although I don't recall which file system I chose, it couldn't have been FAT32 because I think I'm right in saying that FAT32 is only used when the HD is over 1GB.I'm sure that NTFS can't be used on a 1GB HD, therefore your explanation looks right.

Thanks!

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, I'm certain that Windows 2000 supports IDE CD-ROM drives.if I'm wrong about that, then tell me, but I never thought that would be a problem.

Everything else I've mentioned.It all looks ok apart from the FAT issue, and since I've worked out that I must have chosen FAT (being a 1GB HD) then this must be the problem, I think!

19. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

NTFS CAN be used on a 1GB drive.

If FAT32 was selected then the install will fail for the reason jaka mentioned earlier. restart the install and when it asks how you want to fornat the hard drive, select NTFS.

Just a little thought that might be totally wrong but, what file system was the previous install using, because you cannot install windows 2000 server to a FAT 16 or FAT 32 partition that has implemented disk compression, such as drive space.

you caould also try deleting all the partitions on the drive during the install and then recreating 1 partition

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  20. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I didn't do this installation.I'm troubleshooting it for someone else :wink:

What I know is that there was no previous OS installed.If NTFS could have been used, then I cannot deduce that FAT was indeed chosen.

This has got me in a mess now :cry: