ID cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Sep 3, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Didn't know where to put this but I think its a hardware issue

At college, we have a thermal card printer for printing student ID's etc. Nearly all the students have got an error where their expiry date will show as june 2015 as opposed to 2016.

Now to re-issue every student with the cards, will cost a lot of money, then they will need reactivating on the cashless catering, remapping to the printer as well as the cost of the cards and all the man hours that will go into it etc.

Seeing as its just one tiny section, would anyone have an idea for a work around. My idea is to put them in the printer and print over them again with a new expiry date, however, change the colour of the affected area to black perhaps, and in that section have the new expiry date ?

Or so it doesn't look so dodgy, any sort of cleaning product they know of that could do this so it would remove the orange line where the date is, which would revert it to the white plastic, then we can reprint etc ??

Hopefully that makes sense

Cheers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think that you're likely to regret something like that, whilst it will cost lots of money you will find it neater to replace the cards or just ignore the physical date on the card and leave the electronic date as 2016 (after all I am assuming it's something like a token in the card that has the important information for cashless data etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well my idea of using wet and dry to rub the area which was affected wasn't taken on. Instead we will issue them only if the student requests it.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680