ICT Technician Job Interview Awaits At A Primary School - Please Help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Student_19292, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Student_19292

Student_19292 New Member

Hi,

I have an interview in the coming days. can you please assist and help me in what questions i could get asked. Also the interview is of two parts

1) Interview
    2) Practical

Thanks For The SUPPORT !

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Can you give some details of your background, and the role your going for... as to be honest the questions at this point from what you have given could be anything from "Do you prefer ketchup or brown sauce" to "can you tell me what dhcp does" ... oh and just for fun, you can answer these :)

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Student_19292

Student_19292 New Member

I have had previous experience ONLY Through voluntary work and by studying a computing course at college - BTEC. i have worked at schools previously but this is volutarily. i have also worked with children.

4. shadowwebs

Here is a question that I have found comes up time and time again at interviews, let me know if you struggle to answer it without looking on the internet.

"Can you please tell me what DHCP & DNS do?"

Another question which is multiple choice is below which I have taken from one of Professor Messer's daily e-mail questions.

"You have a central laser printer in your organization that needs to be accessed by users on multiple floors of the building. Which type of network connection would be the best type for this printer?

A) Bluetooth

B) Infrared

C) 802.11

D) Parallel"

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

RS-232! :biggrin

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. shadowwebs

I fear I have scared off the student_19292

- - - Updated - - -

nah RS-232 will never do it, it's too old, what you need to do is take some 1mm thick string and attach it to the printer and then the other end attaches to the server, but to prevent any long term damage you must have 4 fans blowing cold air at the string for every 1 metre used otherwise it may set on fire :)

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Nah, he's just popped off to look the answers up...

Being serious, I was a School Tech many years ago. Never knew anyone to have to go through a practical of any sort but I'd find that easier than some random technical q's. They're very much into people 'fitting in' in a school environment, as much as the qualifications. So, just try to relax and be yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

You've forgotten the interface connections - there will need to be a paper (or plastic, for higher speeds) cup attached to each end of said string...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

As Richy said just be yourself and answer all the questions you can and if they ask one you do not know the answer tell them you don't know don't try and wing it.

Certifications: A few.
  9. shadowwebs

As Rob said, if you don't know the answer then never guess as if you get it wrong or sound like your guessing then they will feel less comfortable employing you than if you said honestly that you do not know the answer. Guessing an answer and getting it wrong would show me that if you came across a technical problem in the future, that you would not ask for help but instead would guess and maybe cause more problems in-turn.

All the best though, good luck.

10. ibby

ibby Bit Poster

can you share the original job spec ?

11. Student_19292

Student_19292 New Member

Experience in network management.
    Recognised computer, or network
    management qualification, at NVQ4/ Degree in ICT area or
    equivalent professional experience.
    Good literacy and numeracy
    Evidence of ongoing professional
    development: attendance on courses, personal study.
    A Professional ICT background
    gained in an education or corporate
    environment.
    Knowledge, theoretical and practical,
    of networking in a Microsoft
    environment. Including Active
    Directory.
    Knowledge and understanding of the
    full range of TCP/IP networking
    WAN, LAN and Wireless
    Networking.
    Practical problem solving ability.
    An ability to work constructively as
    part of the wider school team.

The ability to work as an effective
    team member.
    The ability to organise, prioritise,
    work under pressure, meet
    deadlines and liase with external agencies and suppliers.
    Be self motivated, resilient and
    possess humour.
    The ability to remain calm in difficult
    situations.
    The ability to see challenges, rather
    than problems and to identify a
    solution.
    Ability to maintain inventories and stock control.

Effective interpersonal skills with
    pupils and colleagues.
    Command respect, relating well to
    others, supporting and working well
    with them.
    Have the potential to contribute to a
    positive ethos within the school.
    An ability to be consultative and a
    good listener.
    Display tact, good judgment and a
    readiness to tackle problems.
    Willingness to work with children
    Able to work within agreed
    frameworks.
    An ability to respond to changes in
    technology and learn and apply new
    solutions.
    Able to manage time effectively.
    An ability to identify training and
    development needs of others and
    participate in activities to address
    them.
    Able to manage continuous
    professional development and
    performance management and share
    knowledge with other staff and
    support and encourage their
    development.
    Can be physically demanding i.e. need to move heavy equipment.
    Enhanced CRB check
    Suitability to work alongside children
    and young people.
    A good attendance and punctuality
    record. Successful medical.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the late reply, I need to go through the post properly and pay much attention to the advice and certain things i need to look into. I need all the help as this is my first ever interview for a job.

12. ibby

ibby Bit Poster

What kind of technical experience do you have ?

13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Because it's in an educational setting, working with children - they will also be asking you questions relating to safe-guarding.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. shadowwebs

if you have never used AD then I would recommend that you build yourself a VM and have a play around with it, adding workstations and users in, along with playing with memberships.

15. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Ive been at my current job 5 months and my boss is now looking to bring one more person into our team and this has been a major downfall for alot of people that we have been interviewing. When it comes to more complicated questions in the interview that there not sure about alot of ppl are just trying to wing it rather than saying i dont know but im willing to learn etc etc. Seems to be a big downfall for people atm.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  16. shadowwebs

I can understand why people try to wing it, because they want to try and stand out... but it's just standing out for the wrong reason as if you guess and get it wrong, the interviewer may then want to see how far your willing to guess before admitting defeat by probing a little more.

17. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

Exactly - far better just to be honest.

18. Student_19292

Student_19292 New Member

Thanks Very MUCH For The Comments

Currently:

BTEC Qualification in computing.

Experience:

Working in schools, organisations VOLUNTARILY.

Can you please give me a few questions relating to children saftey that could be asked?

And can you please give me at least 5 questions relating to IT that they may possibly ask relating to the primary school too.

19. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I have been for a couple of interviews at schools, common question seemed to be about prioritising work.
    ie
    What would you do if all these happened at the same time
    Classroom white board stopped working
    Head Master couldn't access network
    and a couple of other problems.

Just explain what is the highest priority and how you would explain to the others why they would have to wait.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003