ICT Tech

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by ade1982, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I'm considering going for the ICTTech standard, as I am led to believe this is the easiest one to get, and as I am the only IT person in work. I'm not a member of the BCS or IET yet, so am wondering which one to go for?

I don't mind doing twice the amount of work, if it means I can avoid an interview (I am useless at interviews / presentations), do you need to undergo an interview for either the BCS / IET?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Currently the BCS is not an awarding body for the ICTTech professional registration from the ECUK, however the IET is. The term "easiest" is a fuzzy term, however the ICTTech is based on level 3 of the SFIA and the CITP is based on level 5 of the SFIA.

For "normal" professional membership, there is no interview. You do need supporters/references though. If you do go for the IET, there is a Cisco and Microsoft fast track membership process you could go for. However, I do know that there are interviews for the CITP (Chartered status from the BCS) and the ICTTech (from the ECUK/IET).

Good luck :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Many thanks. I've found details of the standard required of the ICT Tech. What is the interview process like (for that or the CITP?) It seems like it is one of those work-based NVQs before it gets to that?

I'm not 100% certain my M.Eng was BCS/IET accredited, as there weren't sufficient people doing the course ... but I've been in the job 5 years-ish. Wonder how that would affect me.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure about the ICTTech professional registration. For the CITP, you will typically have 8-10 years of IT work experience, if you don't have enough IT experience this may be reduced depending on your academic qualifications, though a minimum of 5 years relevant experience will be required, and of those you would have spent 3 of the past 5 years working in roles demanding skills equivalent to SFIA Level 5.

So basically, it really depends on the type of IT work you do.

Can't really help you out with what the interview is like as it has changed since I gained my CITP, plus there is an exam element.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security