ICT Support Technician Interview, help please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rickjames, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

Out of the blue I've landed an interview this Monday for a technician role at a school, I'm guessing seeing I've done a tiny bit of work at a school might have swayed them in inviting me for interview. My main 'experience' for now has just been self studying for A+ and doing the odd bit of practice through a VM over the last 2/3 months.

Any tips or advice for how I should prepare? There's no hint of any practical test to do but I'm getting a tad nervous with it being so soon!

2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I'm in my first IT job and when I was interviewed for it I was in the middle of the A+...so was in a similar position to you.

4 months down the line I found out I got the job because I was the right fit for the team, a personable character and demonstrated I could be taught. Apparently they had people in far far more qualified than I but just wasn't a match for the company. So that's my advice, be personable & keen.

DO YOU RESEARCH ON THE SCHOOL !!!!!! who's headmaster, what do they excel at, any new development !!!!!!

good luck

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  3. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

Cheers. I don't know how many applicants there are, the closing date was Thursday and I got an email from the Third Master asking me to reply. Felt a bit off emailing a confirmation of interview so I called him instead, hopefully to show him I am keen in the role. It's at 3pm so I've no idea if they're seeing candidates all day or something.

I keep reading over the job description, they use Spiceworks which I haven't before until fiddling around with it a week or so ago when applying. A lot of it has stuff like installing printers/projectors/network/computers/software/hardware/servicing etc and managing AD, seeing it there I'm a little nervous hence this sudden cram session!

4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Good luck mate! I'm currently in my first I.T job and like Andy said above, they were looking more at who I was rather what I had. I think the key is to make them simulate you in their organisation, so make them believe in you. Tell them what you can do and make them like you as a person, at the time of my interview I only had A+ and they didnt actually ask me anything about it :)

All the best!

Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

yes that good - take all the info from the advert (spiceworks) and research, so come the interview you can demonstrate you know what it is and that you bothered to find out. Do they mention anything else that you can investigate? Printers / Projectors / Servicing all stuff from the A+...make sure you tell them that.

Another tip, make mental note of anything you don't know or couldn't answer in the interview, go home research / get an answer, so come the second interview (fingers crossed) your able to give them the answer they wanted and that you can learn.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  6. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

I can PM the job description to you if you like? Other than Spiceworks I don't know particularly too much into what they use other than XP/7/OSX. As I sit here now I'm just watching all the ProfesserMesser troubleshooting videos hoping they can get me through the basics!

Cheers for the help so far!

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from the technical side, a few other tips...

As it's a school, you may want to check out FITS, it's ITIL but aimed at education (ITIL main focus is the business, FITS main focus is the end user/"customer"). It's becoming the standard good/best practice methodology for schools.

You may be asked stuff on safeguarding, to get a better idea see here.

Their IT Services department, may be a sub-department of their ICT (Academic teaching) department or it may be a department on it's own, so do your research. Eg you may be expected to treat the ICT department more favorably than other departments (one school gave the impression that they wanted me to do that by asking the same questions over and over again, however I was very insistent that I treated all departments equally - I didn't get the job, but after my experience with them I didn't want to work there).

You may be expected to support VLE's (Virtual learning environments) based on Moodle or Sharepoint. There are other VLE's like Frog. If you have no experience with them, don't say that you do, be honest. If you're a fast learner, tell them.

Other systems that school's use would be their Management Information System (MIS), the most well known of them is Sims .Net (this is based on SQL).

General info, but something else apart from technology to think about :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

Cheers for the tips!

Getting nervous now, argh.

9. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

A bump for any more help? Cheers!