ICT Support Technician advice wanted

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by playaz, Jun 27, 2005.

1. playaz

playaz Bit Poster

Here is a job spec I received for a job I am going to apply for, I really really want this job as its decent pay and isnt too far for me to travel :)

Can anyone give me any advice at all, what to expect at the interview, what kinda things they like to hear - absolutely any advice from people who are ideally in a similar role or even recruit people into these roles.
    ------------------------------
    Required as soon as possible a qualified or suitably experienced ICT technician to work alongside the ICT systems manager in a team of four. You will be required to provide hardware support with the installation, maintenance and repair of computers and other ICT related hardware. You will also need experience of “Windows” operating systems. Experience of networking, cabling and Windows Server 2003 would be an advantage. Training can be provided. You will also need to have initiative, to be well organised and to be able to work unsupervised.

The College has over 300 computers running Windows XP on a network with Windows Server 2003 on the servers. We have a range of other ICT equipment including multimedia projectors and interactive whiteboards.
    ------------------------------

Thanks in advance

WIP: A+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Send the employer your CV with a covering letter saying how you can support their IT department with the skills you have gained.
    Tell them you have been getting experience working for friends and family and training to get A+ certified on the way.

Best of Luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

playaz, I work in ICT support for a large Construction Consultancy company. I hope I don't burst the bubble but it's a hard job to get into as there will be loads of applicants but don't let that put you off. What you need to do is demonstrate to them your experiences, knowledge, adaptability, willingness to learn and further yourself with IT qualifications and skills. Make sure you note what you have done and emphasis abilities especially things like server builds, active directory, PC support/maintenance. Make sure you know your way around a PC inside out and any networking you have done even if it's just a home network. These are the things an employer wants in a technician. If your lacking commercial experience then put a lot of emphasis on how much your willing to learn, develop and that you have a passion for IT.

If you need anymore advice then feel free to ask away...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. playaz

playaz Bit Poster

Thanks guys thats is really useful :)

I was wondering if you could help me out with this question on the application form, obviously I know I cannot lie as this will be highlighted at the interview but what would you guys write for this question:
    -----------------------
    SUPPORTING INFORMATION:
    Using the job description and employee specification as a guide give examples of your abilities and experience gained in paid, voluntary work or leisure activities, which will enable you to carry out the main activities of this job.
    -----------------------

I'd like to see some as examples of what others would write for this, as I don't think when I do it myself its very 'unprofessional sounding' if that makes any sense. :)

Thanks again guys - your help is certainly appreciated!

WIP: A+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

I know not everyone will agree with me, but this is my thoughts/opinions.

I see that your working towards your A+, I would list the experience gained thru the A+ down. Any experience outside the course would be helpful, fixing your own PC, your friends PC, etc.

Be yourself at the interview (before, during and after). I worked for a college for a couple of years and I was interviewed by the IT manager (and others), and the person who collected me from reception was the senior tech at the time so he had a minor say in the matter. You've been invited for an interview, so they want to know more about you.

From what I can remember before the actually verbal interview, you'll be given a short written question and answer test. A couple of basic/standard questions, i.e. What is the POST? What would you do if... ? Don't worry too much about this, this is just another way of finding out things about you.

If you come up across a question that you do not know the answer, be honest and say you'll find out/ or ask, don't try to bluff. Part of the whole interview process is finding out about you, what you know and what you will do if you don't know.

If there is anything else that I can remember I'll post it, and I hope this helps. You may get a totally different format than what I went thru. At the end of the day, if you're not successful at getting this job, look at this as a successful interview practice for the next job.

Hope everything works out.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security